Best portable device to enjoy Tidal

bellucda

Nov 26, 2020
Visit site
Hi,
am looking to find the best 'portable solution to enjoy Tidal (have a premium subscription) while walking or on a plane. Am curios if I can get a much better audio quality using something like Astell & Kern SR15 instead than my iPhone to run Tidal. I don't think there should be a lot of difference because Tidal app is capable to play MQA files (or whatever they call it) and because everything is digital I would guess the final result is the same no matter if am plugging my headphone to some iphone rathern than a astell & kern sr 15.

Generally speaking under what circumstance i can much more enjoy something like SR15 rather than my iPhone ?

Welcome to the forum,
The advantages of a digital music player over the likes of a phone is normally storage space and the fact they are designed specifically to be the best they can be at doing one thing only.... delivering quality audio.
Surely Tidal is a streaming service so you would have trouble using it on a plane unless you actually download material to the device itself?
You need to consider exact requirements before purchasing a DMP and, at the moment they are not clear.
If you don't need stored media then there is little point in buying the SR15, and there are better options to that device anyway..

bellucda

Nov 26, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to the forum,
The advantages of a digital music player over the likes of a phone is normally storage space and the fact they are designed specifically to be the best they can be at doing one thing only.... delivering quality audio.
Surely Tidal is a streaming service so you would have trouble using it on a plane unless you actually download material to the device itself?
You need to consider exact requirements before purchasing a DMP and, at the moment they are not clear.
If you don't need stored media then there is little point in buying the SR15, and there are better options to that device anyway..
thanks for your reply! :)
I have a subscription so I can download music from Tidal in MQA and play it offline, so that wouldn't be an issue. Storage space is not a requiement and am not planning to store my music but just play what I download from Tidal in MQA. Any better options than an iPhone perhaps ?

SteveR750

thanks for your reply! :)
I have a subscription so I can download music from Tidal in MQA and play it offline, so that wouldn't be an issue. Storage space is not a requiement and am not planning to store my music but just play what I download from Tidal in MQA. Any better options than an iPhone perhaps ?
I bought an LG V30 on the basis of its Quad dac, which I have to say is the best sounding phone I've used if you don't want to go down the route of using a separate portable dac amp from someone like Filo

bellucda

Nov 26, 2020
Visit site
I bought an LG V30 on the basis of its Quad dac, which I have to say is the best sounding phone I've used if you don't want to go down the route of using a separate portable dac amp from someone like Filo
just to understand : is there a subtle or big difference? also, what headphone would you recommend ?

SteveR750

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS