Best options for streaming from Spotify etc / NAS

njprrogers

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I've had a hifi setup for the last ten years (a Cambridge Azure 640A amplifier and Monitor Audio Silver B6 Speakers) which I'm in the process of upgrading as I no longer listen to physical formats anymore.

Recently, I had a demo in my local hifi shop of the B and W 685 S2's. I was impressed and made a purchase. I have them hooked up to my CA 640A amp playing some tracks (FLAC) from my NAS through my MacBook Pro (connected using an RCA to 3.5mm).

So, the sound quality is not getting to the level I heard in the shop where the speakers were driven by a NAD7050. The NAD7050 is 1,000 euro (£800). I'd like to stream from my NAS and Spotify and get as good a sound as possible for around 350 - 550 pounds. I listen to a range of music from folk to electronic and dance music.

Can you guys recommend some options? Should I keep my old amp and just buy a network player or are there better options in the all-in-one category?

I'd be willing to make a second hand purchase if you have some recommendations for older equipment.

Thanks...

jjbomber

njprrogers said:
Hi,

I have them hooked up to my CA 640A amp playing some tracks (FLAC) from my NAS through my MacBook Pro (connected using an RCA to 3.5mm).

So, the sound quality is not getting to the level I heard in the shop where the speakers were driven by a NAD7050. The NAD7050 is 1,000 euro (£800). I'd like to stream from my NAS and Spotify and get as good a sound as possible for around 350 - 550 pounds.

You are right in that the weak link is the MacBook Pro connection. Several options depending on finances. Simplest would be the Pioneer N-50A which sells for around £430 these days. Moving up, you already know that you love the sound of the NAD7050 but that is out of budget. Work out what you would get for the CA 640A and see if you can afford the difference. If you can, that is best.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts