Best opening to an album?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
It's got to be Leftfield " Leftism"

every time it starts it brings back so many memories. Subtle, electronics gently soothing you in to a Behmoth of an album! :rockout:

A

Anonymous

I'll throw in my 2 cents...

Tool

The Grudge - The opening drums and bass line of this sets up for that heavy, but deep feeling you're about to get throughout the whole album.

Lateralus

Marvin Gaye

What's Going On - The people hanging out at what sounds like a party saying "What's happening my man? Everything is everything..." - It just sets up the whole album.

What's Going On

Slayer

South of Heaven - Slow, deep, heavy. Brings chills to my body just typing this.

South of Heaven

...Josh

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I'd definitely have Genesis 'Trick of the Tail' and Pink Floyd 'Wish You Were Here' on my list. I know it's desperatel unfashionable, but -going back to my teens - I used to love the opening to Elton John's 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' album: that lovely rich analogue synth sound gradually building to a driving intro to the first song.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Moseley Shoals by Ocean Colour Scene.

the opening track 'The Riverboat Song' just has that thumbing riff on the bass guitar. Not only is it very striking and instantly recognisable it's also the first track I put on the first ever time I went for a demo to hear some proper kit as a 13 year old lad and it's stayed with me ever since.

Cinnabar

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
'Sure Shot' from Ill Communication - Beastie Boys.

'And it Stoned Me' from Moondance - Van Morrison

'Take California' from Decksanddrumsandroacknroll - Propellerheads.

'Boy in the Bubble' from Graceland - Paul Simon

'Tangled up in Blue- from Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan

'All I Want' from Blue - Joni Mitchell

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
joshkarp said:
I'll throw in my 2 cents...

Tool

The Grudge - The opening drums and bass line of this sets up for that heavy, but deep feeling you're about to get throughout the whole album.

Lateralus

This in every way. Got the limited edition picture disc vinyl last week, and it's reminded me how powerful the song is. I've also been programming my RCDN7 with the "Holy Gift" track order, which starts with Parabol. Again, awesome.

Also:

Machine Head- Through the Ashes of Empires- Imperium

Nine Inch Nails- With Teeth- All The Love in the World

Jane's Addiction- Ritual de lo Habitual- Stop!

Porcupine Tree- Fear of a Blank Planet- Fear of a Blank Planet

A

Anonymous

I KNEW there was one I was forgetting! Thanks!

Nine Inch Nails- With Teeth- All The Love in the World

A

Anonymous

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm going out on a limb and suggest that no one has yet mentioned The Flower Kings - Rhythm of Life from their Retropolis album :rofl:

On a (slightly) more serious note, these are the starting lyrics to the opening track of Pain Of Salvation's debut album:

Listen to me now - you
Listen to me now - you
Do my words mean more to hear
When I am standing here
On a stage like all your silly idols do?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Hey ho, lets go!

41mqczSAEvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

manicm

AEJim said:
"What's Going On?" - What's Going On - Marvin Gaye

"Baba O'Riley" - Who's Next - The Who

"Hotel California" - Hotel California - Eagles

"Sympathy For The Devil" - Beggars Banquet - The Rolling Stones

"Respect" - I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You - Aretha Franklin

...and probably many more but that's what I can see at the front of the CD collection from here
emotion-2.gif

It's probably hated and overplayed but Hotel California is just stupendous.

manicm

Well now that someone mentioned The Final Cut in another forum, The Post War Dream intro is just brilliant - it starts with the sound of cars passing by and then Roger begins (a really good effect was that the entire album lyrics were printed in lower case):

tell me true, tell me why

was jesus crucified

is is for this that daddy died?

was it you, was it me

did i watch too much tv

is that a hint of accusation in your eyes?

Brilliant!

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Not my favourite album by them, but the title track of "In It For The Money" by Supergrass is a superb opener, but not quite as good as the awesome "Dissolution" by Ozric Tentacles on the "Pungent Effulgent" album; now that is how to open an album!

Fee

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Lots of great ones here, but how about

"Hello, I'm Johnny Cash..." then straight into Folsum Prison Blues, from At Folsum Prison.

Fabulous.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts