Best opening to an album?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i think i would go with shine on too.

although the album beginning that had the biggest impact on me, was home invasion by ice t. as a 16 year old buying his first rap album, the intro was like a slap round the face and the funniest thing i'd ever heard. i won't type the lyrics, although it might be amusing to see what the sites language filter made of it.

actually, in case you haven't heard it. " ATTENTION. you are now listening to an ice t l.p. if you are offended by words like....." hmmm, might not be a good idea. google if you're curious.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
"History repeats the old conceitsÿThe glib replies, the same defeatsKeep your finger on current issuesWith crocodile tears and a pocket full of tissues"
Elvis Costello & The Attractions, 'Beyond Belief'. Opening track from 'Imperial Bedroom', 1982. A lyrical tour de force from beginning to end, from the self-proclaimed Scrabble Champion of Rock'n'Roll.
ÿ

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Oooo excellent thread, since I'm finding it very difficult to think of the best one. Am tempted to say 'King of Sunset Town' by Marillion from 'Season's End' - takes at least a full minute of increasing volume and tension until it's released by the soaring guitar part. Still gives me the willies.

Great choice.......

A

Anonymous

Hey, hey, mama said the way you move

Gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove.

Black Dog, Led Zep 4. 'Nuf said!!

knacker

Dec 19, 2007
Visit site
I've been waiting for a guide to come and take me by the hand.
Could these sensations make me feel the pleasures of a normal man.
New sensations bear the innocence, leave them for another day.
I've got the spirit, lose the feeling, take the shock away.

Disorder by Joy Division from "Unknown Pleasures"

I live cement
I hate this street
Give dirt to me
I bite lament
This human form
Where I was born
I now repent
Caribou

Caribou by Pixies from "Come on Pilgrim"

A

Anonymous

I'd second Hell's Bell's by AC/DC - what a fantastic build up to a truly rockin' track and album for that matter.

I'd also add Rock n Roll Star by Oasis - first heard when i was a teenager and that album turned me on to music.

Also Enter Sandman from Metallicas black album.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
"Take a Bow" from Black Holes and Revelations by Muse, anyone? The way the synth arpeggios and vocals build up a sense of tension and menace to breaking point is awesome.

Would definitely second "Shine on" and Meddle" by the masters, though!

A

Anonymous

Hmm, albums with top quality openers...

The System Has Failed, Megadeth. "Blackmail the universe".

The Slip, Nine Inch Nails. "999,999" which is kind of an intro track followed by (you guessed it) "1,000,000".

AND LET'S NOT FORGET (Rick, RIP):

Meddle, Pink Floyd. "One of theses days"

ONE OF THESE DAYS, I'M GONNA CUT YOU INTO LITTLE PIECES!!!

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:The start of The Wall by Pink Floyd is still bloody good to this day! Introduces the rest of the album and the variations on the theme continue throughout the album like a common motif.

Do a little test:)

Play the last track off the wall and then the first - with no gap in between. You'll go.... huh? oh yeah!

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Somehow forgot this first time round:
"Belligerent ghouls run Manchester schoolsSpineless swines, cemented mindsÿSir leads the troops, jealous of youthSame old suit since 1962He does the military two-step down the nape of my neck
I wanna go home, I don't wanna stayGive up education as a bad mistake
Midweek on the playing fields, Sir thwacks you on the kneesKnees you in the groin, elbow in the faceBruises bigger than dinner plates
Belligerent ghouls run Manchester schoolsSpineless bastards all"

Tuned to a pitch from the word go and then effortlessly sustained through both sides of the album.

A

Anonymous

Nice shout Simon, although I'd probably go for:

"The rain falls hard on a humdrum town,

This town has dragged you down....."

Hatful of Hollow (although a compilation of earlier stuff) was probably the one album that has most influenced my musical tastes for the past twenty-odd years. Got me listening to John Peel (RIP), then Radcliffe & Lard and has led me to some great discoveries. In fact, seeing this post made me dig out my 24 year-old cassette copy and I'm now listening to it in the kitchen - still sounds as good as it did all those years ago.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

pleased to see we have a number of smiths fans on here!

have you/will you be buying 'the sound of the smiths'?

i suspect you have their albums anyway but wondered whether you are tempted to get the (johnny marr) remaster versions. i did have a look at the cd in fopp earlier but i am sticking to my guns and hoping they release a complete discography in box set form.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
I've given this a little thought and d_a_n1979 has a good one with the Bonzo Dog (Doo Dah) Band. All there first tracks that I have are good.

Other good opening tracks come from Monty Python and on a more serious note Syd Dale's KPM recordings.

Pink Floyd have a few crackers too.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
LowFeller:

pleased to see we have a number of smiths fans on here!

have you/will you be buying 'the sound of the smiths'?

i suspect you have their albums anyway but wondered whether you are tempted to get the (johnny marr) remaster versions. i did have a look at the cd in fopp earlier but i am sticking to my guns and hoping they release a complete discography in box set form.

Good question! As I own all the albums I`ve been trying to forget this new remastered compilation exists but of course the posters are everywhere. Who am I trying to kid? Guess it`ll be the 2cd version for me.

A

Anonymous

Quite a few but if one opener does stand out it's ....

Hells Bells on Back in Black

Quality intro, great build up and just a taste for what is 'probably' the best album of all time.

A

Anonymous

SACripps:The 'guitar attack' that signals the start of Fair Warning by Van Halen...

Good call.

My contriibutions are :

Vocally/lyrically I'd say "I Still believe in God, but God no longer believes in me..." the spoken word intro to WASTELAND, opening track on GOD'S OWN CHILDREN by THE MISSION.

Musically I'd have to say RUNNIN' WITH THE DEVIL on the very first self titled VAN HALEN album.

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
That key board sound at the start of we wont get fooled again, The Who. Lulls you into a false state of trance and then bursts in with that distorted guitar chord. Lovely

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
DeimosNZ:I'm quite fond of the start to Bowie's Station to Station and Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds is a bit of a classic

The War of the Worlds did cross my mind as a good intro. Thinking about it again now you`re right it is a classic. Richard Burton`s unmistakable voice followed by the dramatically dark string arrangement. Good call!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts