Question Best Open Back Headphones for Immersive Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wesley85

Nov 1, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I'm after a pair of open back headphones which will be used for both music and gaming on a very highend PC.
I have to stress I'm not an online competitive gamer. I do not need a mic. I game for fun and the experience.
Gaming fidelity is priority for me.

To help give an idea of where I stand with quality preference, my current set up contains;

77" LGC9
KEF R 500 5.1 Surround with R50 Atmos speakers.
Denon AVR X-7200wa
RTX2080TI Graphics Card.

I currently use a closed back Oppo PM-3 with a Chord Mojo amp.

So any input on helping me decide on a pair of open back headphones would be great.

Budget is around £1300
Headphones must have a good soundstage for atmosphere and imaging for location of enemies etc.
I like a powerful inpact sound for guns.
Massive sub bass is not a priority as long as its clear and defined.
I do like trebles to be detailed for glass breaking and ammunition shells hitting the ground. But I am sensitive to over bright trebles where sibilance is overbearing.

I've trawled the internet for headphones I'd like for music but can't find any where they have been used for gaming.

On my radar currently are;

Focal Clear
HD800S
T1 Gen 2

I would like to continue to use my Chord Mojo for the next 2 years so ideally suited to this dac/amp.

Thank you in advance

Wesley85

Nov 1, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I'm after a pair of open back headphones which will be used for both music and gaming on a very highend PC.
I have to stress I'm not an online competitive gamer. I do not need a mic. I game for fun and the experience.
Gaming fidelity is priority for me.

To help give an idea of where I stand with quality preference, my current set up contains;

77" LGC9
KEF R 500 5.1 Surround with R50 Atmos speakers.
Denon AVR X-7200wa
RTX2080TI Graphics Card.

I currently use a closed back Oppo PM-3 with a Chord Mojo amp.

So any input on helping me decide on a pair of open back headphones would be great.

Budget is around £1300
Headphones must have a good soundstage for atmosphere and imaging for location of enemies etc.
I like a powerful inpact sound for guns.
Massive sub bass is not a priority as long as its clear and defined.
I do like trebles to be detailed for glass breaking and ammunition shells hitting the ground. But I am sensitive to over bright trebles where sibilance is overbearing.

I've trawled the internet for headphones I'd like for music but can't find any where they have been used for gaming.

On my radar currently are;

Focal Clear
HD800S
T1 Gen 2

I would like to continue to use my Chord Mojo for the next 2 years so ideally suited to this dac/amp.

Thank you in advance

Could a moderator please move this thread to the main headphone section? Somehow I've accidentally started it here. Thanks.

insider9

I would not consider open back headphones for gaming. In order to immerse in a game I wouldn't want any outside noise. Moreover you can use virtual 7.1 headsets for gaming which will do a better job than normal stereo. If that was me I'd spend up to £300 on a gaming headset and the rest for good open back headphones.

Also bear in mind that Mojo will be outclassed by circa £1k headphones so don't be surprised if you feel the need to upgrade it.

Good luck finding the right solution

Wesley85

Nov 1, 2019
Visit site
I would not consider open back headphones for gaming. In order to immerse in a game I wouldn't want any outside noise. Moreover you can use virtual 7.1 headsets for gaming which will do a better job than normal stereo. If that was me I'd spend up to £300 on a gaming headset and the rest for good open back headphones.

Also bear in mind that Mojo will be outclassed by circa £1k headphones so don't be surprised if you feel the need to upgrade it.

Good luck finding the right solution

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I already own gaming headphones and they do not offer audiophile quality audio.

7.1 'virtual'surround sound is software based and the headsets themselves only have 2 drivers.
So any headphone can be used and just install the software. However these are not good and the sound engine within games now use there own virtual surround on the headphone setting within the game does a much better job.

As mentioned in the OP sound leakage isn't an issue for me. No external noise is present. Just a silent gaming room.

So openback headphones are essential for me as closed back are just too much 'inside' your head. I need the openness sound.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts