Best NAD Amp - Old or New?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Having managed to re-buy an old Marantz system that I had years ago I am now planning to do the same with a NAD setup. Trouble is I can't actually remember what I had apart from it was an amp and CD player *biggrin*.

Anyway, that minor detail aside I would like to pick the brains of guys on here who are NAD afficionados or who had NAD systems in the mid - late 90's/early 00's and can offer me advice as to which were the best ones. I am looking at the following amps:

3020, C340, C350, C370 (old) or C356 BEE (new).

I'll also probably buy the 'most decent' NAD CD player (and must admit I have no idea whether this would be an older one or one of the newer offerings and, if so, which one) OR do NAD do a decent streamer?

So - what would you guys recommend I go after? The amp will be driving either something like MA Silver 1's in a small room and maybe something like Kudos/PMC's in a larger room as I swap and change stuff. I have heard that NAD amps deliver plenty of grunt but which of the above deliver the most juice for demanding speakers?

Thanks in advance and apologies for being so vague about what my original system was - it's my age!

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Well...as you said either old or new here goes my suggestion:
Listen to the nad class d amps either the c390 dd or the dac/pre I have with a nad class D (hypex) power amp. It will leave an impression.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Years ago when I last looked at NAD I did find the smaller amps to be more musical, bouncy, rythmic ... whatever you want to call it. The larger ones seemed somewhat stifled and un-engaging though obviously would go louder ultimately. - Mind, that was a long time ago.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
drummerman said:
Years ago when I last looked at NAD I did find the smaller amps to be more musical, bouncy, rythmic ... whatever you want to call it. The larger ones seemed somewhat stifled and un-engaging though obviously would go louder ultimately. - Mind, that was a long time ago.

I 'think' I had either a C320 or C340 years ago and remember it being great - to the point I wish I had never sold it (like lots of other stuff!). I'd be happy to try and find a mint one of either of those but am sure I have read somewhere that the BEE stuff is actually better than any of the old ones. I know there's a few NAD fans on here so hope they read this and give me a view on the ones above.

NS496

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
There was a recent review I read in HiFi Choice Magazine where their newer C 356BEE amp did very well I think it is this test referred to on their website: http://nadelectronics.com/articles/C-356BEE-DAC-Recommended-in-Hi-Fi-Choice

Be shure to try the newer 'direct digital' amps 390 DD etc or D3020 (hybrid digital).

matthewpiano

I've owned a few NAD amps over the years - C325BEE, C326BEE, and an older model I can't quite remember the number of (not a 3020 - a bigger one). All were enjoyable and involving and I don't think there are many duds in NAD's amplifier history.

I've heard a C370 on a couple of occasions and if you want a powerful and involving amplifier to drive almost any speaker I don't think you could go wrong with a well looked after example of that.

Their CD players have also been very good sound-wise, but they have consistently tended towards being a little unreliable. I had a C521BEE that gave me huge pleasure with the C325BEE, but it only lasted a couple of years. Later on I had a C545BEE, and that had a very noisy transport from the start but, again, sounded superb.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I've owned a few NAD amps over the years - C325BEE, C326BEE, and an older model I can't quite remember the number of (not a 3020 - a bigger one). All were enjoyable and involving and I don't think there are many duds in NAD's amplifier history.

I've heard a C370 on a couple of occasions and if you want a powerful and involving amplifier to drive almost any speaker I don't think you could go wrong with a well looked after example of that.

Their CD players have also been very good sound-wise, but they have consistently tended towards being a little unreliable. I had a C521BEE that gave me huge pleasure with the C325BEE, but it only lasted a couple of years. Later on I had a C545BEE, and that had a very noisy transport from the start but, again, sounded superb.

Thanks MP I was hoping you would comment as I know you are quite knowledgeable on their stuff. I think I'll probably skip the CDP in hindsight.

The favourite is probably one of their newer offerings and likely to be the C326BEE or C356BEE unless one of the older ones would top those in terms of performance for price?

If you were buying now, either second hand or new, with the flexibility to drive both easy and more demanding speakers in a mid sized room - which would you plump for?

Thanks for helping - much appreciated.

matthewpiano

If I was buying for myself now, I'd be looking for a C325BEE or C326BEE as those would suit my room size and speakers well. I think I'd do the same for partnering your MA Silver 1s as well, but with the larger room and higher-level partnering speakers also in mind, I think a C355BEE or C356BEE would give you complete flexibility

I would certainly skip on the CD player. I found the Cambridge 340C was a nice match with NAD amplifiers, and you should be able to pick one of those up pretty cheaply second hand.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
If I was buying for myself now, I'd be looking for a C325BEE or C326BEE as those would suit my room size and speakers well. I think I'd do the same for partnering your MA Silver 1s as well, but with the larger room and higher-level partnering speakers also in mind, I think a C355BEE or C356BEE would give you complete flexibility

I would certainly skip on the CD player. I found the Cambridge 340C was a nice match with NAD amplifiers, and you should be able to pick one of those up pretty cheaply second hand.

Thanks a lot that's helpful. I'll probably skip the CDP altogether as I also have my 'old' Marantz system containing CD63 SE KI /PM66 KI so I think that would match well. I'll probably hunt around for a decent streamer to pair up with the NAD.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
C320BEE is in my opinion an absolute belter for around a ton second hand. Punchy, musical and great with a variety of speakers. I've just got a D3020 which is growing on me after initial misgivings. CDP's sound great but are made of chocolate....

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I own a C326BEE which I've had for 2 years and I own a C350 which I've had for about 16 years. I've owned both from new. I am a big fan of NAD amplification, the powerful clean sound is very easy to live with. I've never ran either of my amps into any form of stress, there is power aplenty.

I also really like the amount of conectivity you get with NADs. The array of line in's & pre in/out and sub connections make for a very flexible hub to any system.

Out of the amps you list the C350 & C370 are very good in the power department. I doubt the C370 would ever run out of juice in a domestic environment it has a very good power supply.

I do offer a word of caution though. Both of my NAD amps have suffered breakdowns where they will no longer power up. My old C350 had failing capicitors which lead to a shorted standby transformer and it went pop! I have fixed it myself very cheaply, but I know the C370 is prone to capictor problems wherby it gets stuck in protection mode.

My C326BEE is currently away to a NAD agent as I speak due to being stuck in standby mode. NAD themselves have realised an error lies in the circuit design and have made revisions to the power supply and pre amp sections to eradicate earthing issues on the boards causing power issues. My amp is away being modded right now.

The older amps are very easy to repair/service as they use very generic electronic components. The newer ones do use IC's more heavily in the control and switching side of things and as I've found they can have some design flaws causing earthing issues unless modded by NAD themselves.

Soundquality wise all very good amplifiers and I will most likeley always have a NAD amplifier in my life. My C350 is driving my Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones as I listen to music whilst I type this and it's just wonderfull!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I owned the nad c270 and 160 pre amp and was very very good.

The intergrated version of that was the c370 and i could not hear a difference with the sound on a short demo.

It was better than my roksan kandy k2 and had much more power that kept under control without getti g grainy like my kandy did.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
MeanandGreen said:
I own a C326BEE which I've had for 2 years and I own a C350 which I've had for about 16 years. I've owned both from new. I am a big fan of NAD amplification, the powerful clean sound is very easy to live with. I've never ran either of my amps into any form of stress, there is power aplenty.

I also really like the amount of conectivity you get with NADs. The array of line in's & pre in/out and sub connections make for a very flexible hub to any system.

Out of the amps you list the C350 & C370 are very good in the power department. I doubt the C370 would ever run out of juice in a domestic environment it has a very good power supply.

I do offer a word of caution though. Both of my NAD amps have suffered breakdowns where they will no longer power up. My old C350 had failing capicitors which lead to a shorted standby transformer and it went pop! I have fixed it myself very cheaply, but I know the C370 is prone to capictor problems wherby it gets stuck in protection mode.

My C326BEE is currently away to a NAD agent as I speak due to being stuck in standby mode. NAD themselves have realised an error lies in the circuit design and have made revisions to the power supply and pre amp sections to eradicate earthing issues on the boards causing power issues. My amp is away being modded right now.

The older amps are very easy to repair/service as they use very generic electronic components. The newer ones do use IC's more heavily in the control and switching side of things and as I've found they can have some design flaws causing earthing issues unless modded by NAD themselves.

Soundquality wise all very good amplifiers and I will most likeley always have a NAD amplifier in my life. My C350 is driving my Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones as I listen to music whilst I type this and it's just wonderfull!

The more I read the more that becomes my fear with them. I live in the NW and am not sure where/if there is anyone reputable enough to repair or service them; or indeed if they even sound the same after you have had that done. I have my eye on one that says it's been serviced but the reality is that you don't know how well.

Maybe buying new is the way to go and getting a C326BEE. Are the new ones pretty much 'fixed' from all these issues? I have never had any such issues with the Marantz gear I own - it's strange.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Paulq said:
MeanandGreen said:

The more I read the more that becomes my fear with them. I live in the NW and am not sure where/if there is anyone reputable enough to repair or service them; or indeed if they even sound the same after you have had that done. I have my eye on one that says it's been serviced but the reality is that you don't know how well.

Maybe buying new is the way to go and getting a C326BEE. Are the new ones pretty much 'fixed' from all these issues? I have never had any such issues with the Marantz gear I own - it's strange.

The new ones should be free of these issues and with the original warranty you don't have to worry about it anyway.

The older ones are very easy to service and as long as the correct value components were swapped out for the old, the performance will be exactly as it should be.

Personally I would buy a new C326BEE in your position.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts