Best HiFI system for £500

Ryouku94

May 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi i wantd to know if anyone has any suggestions for a Receiver/amplifier and a set of speakers for £500 to make a decent HiFI system as i have no experience doing this and would love some advice on this please.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Ryouku94 said:
Hi i wantd to know if anyone has any suggestions for a Receiver/amplifier and a set of speakers for £500 to make a decent HiFI system as i have no experience doing this and would love some advice on this please.

hi and welcome

why not check 100s other similar threads?

if it's me I would go for:

a) apple user version - airport express + yamaha hs7 ( well under £500)

b) android user version - google chromecast audio + yamaha hs7 ( well under £500)

ps. marantz pm can only dream about yamaha's performance. your choice..

Ryouku94

May 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the replies I will have a look into the option mentioned and hopefully decide on what to get .

Thank you for the help

Ryouku94

May 8, 2016
Visit site
what about getting a pair of floorstnading speakers and an amplifier as i listen to a lot of music that can be bass heavy and i know the majority of bookshelf or stand mount speakers tend not to go below 50hz. I would buy a subwoofer for the speakers but from what ive seen with my budget it is very difficult to get a sub as well. For the floorstanding speakers i was thinking the monitor audio mr4 with a onkyo 9010 or marantz pm5005

T.T.

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I own the Dali Zensor 3's and I think they are amazing for the price. The bass is great considering their size. I'm using them with the Yamaha rx-v379 receiver which costs 270€ but I guess you could buy a better 2-channel amplifier or buy a decent one at <170€ if you want to keep it sub-500... I have them for a year and couldn't be happier! Strongly recommend.

Ryouku94 said:
It isn't exactly a "system" unless you have a source. What is yours?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
lpv said:
for big bass go for yamaha hs8

Newbies often confuse bass extension with bass power and punch. The couple of octaves above 50hz are far more important than the octave below, and for mainstream pop music, even bass heavy material, that really should be the focus.

As you say, 8 inch 'studio monitor' types will out perform any hi-fi amp/speaker combo at this sort of money, in this sort of application, but they rarely have the required 'bling' factor.

The issue though is that speakers of this type have virtually no functionality, single input and a 'level' control means that they really need a pre-amp of some sort to be really effective. Single sources, such as a computer or mobile device will work well enough but the moment you move beyond that it gets complicated.

One inexpensive solution would be the Teufel Connector 2, virtually a Sonos Connect clone but with hi-res, Spotify Connect, Tidal etc all built in, normally £150, currently £120.

At current prices, Presonus Eris 8 can be had under £350, add in a Connector 2 at the current price and a pair of (say) 3 meter Van Damme interconnects and you are still under budget (just).

Ryouku94 said:
my source is going to be my pc
In that case then you need a device to take a digital signal from your pc and turn it into an analogue one - a DAC. (Rather than taking a headphone outlet feed). Perhaps a NAD3020d amplifier, but there are many stand alone DACs available. Or a Dragonfly device followed by a cable to any standard amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts