Best headphone amplifiers 2020: budget and premium

Neiljbp

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Once again the question arises.....................
Which of these products is guaranteed to work with a CHROMEBOOK........
The last time I posted this question, I got ONE response. and that response was all about what worked with Windows and Apple.........Avoiding Chromebook.
See I told you how tricky the question was.
Surely SOMEONE at WHAT HIFI ? must know the answer.....

D

Deleted member 188533

Once again the question arises.....................
Which of these products is guaranteed to work with a CHROMEBOOK........
The last time I posted this question, I got ONE response. and that response was all about what worked with Windows and Apple.........Avoiding Chromebook.
See I told you how tricky the question was.
Surely SOMEONE at WHAT HIFI ? must know the answer.....

I don't know but you might ask the question on the forums. Someone who does know might be able to help you. :)

This is another 'best' list of things previously tested. Not a real 'best' list.

doifeellucky

Strange that this list of headphone amplifiers only actually contains one dedicated headphone amp in it. Even that is labelled incorrectly as a DAC/Amp. Then directly below it says it actually doesn't have DAC in it. Get your facts right. Based on the majority being DAC/Amp combos, where is the award winning Zen DAC. I'm increasingly starting to question the hi-fi knowledge of whoever puts these 'lists' together.

jayhouse

Oct 1, 2020
Visit site
This is a roundup of dacs mainly focussed on portable use, not a list of headphone amps. Where is the list of products the title promises? A list of items I could integrate in to a home setup where I don’t need a DAC or might already have that covered and want to add headphone use to. The products to upgrade the headphone output on an integrated amp or add headphone use to a turntable etc where I only have a phono stage and a power amp. This is not an uncommon scenario yet nearly every headphone amp or at least list of the best ones just rounds up the same portable DAC/headphone amp combo devices.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

This is a roundup of dacs mainly focussed on portable use, not a list of headphone amps. Where is the list of products the title promises? A list of items I could integrate in to a home setup where I don’t need a DAC or might already have that covered and want to add headphone use to. The products to upgrade the headphone output on an integrated amp or add headphone use to a turntable etc where I only have a phono stage and a power amp. This is not an uncommon scenario yet nearly every headphone amp or at least list of the best ones just rounds up the same portable DAC/headphone amp combo devices.
I agree with you.
You're better off looking elsewhere if you're investigating amps.
(The two latest Magni 3 variants and the Topping A50S are prime contenders, in their respective price brackets).

JR75

Oct 26, 2022
Visit site
Gotta say, the Chord DACs are the cheesiest, tackyist, ugliest audio devices I have ever seen. They might be considered high quality DACs, but they look about as cheap as you can get. I would never buy one. And the Chord Dave (what a stupid name) is not only super cheapo looking, but costs $10,500+ Are you kidding? For a DAC?

Ian AV

Apr 13, 2023
Visit site
I discovered the same when trying to find a headphone amplifier as no one seems to know the difference between a headphone amplifier and a DAC with a headphone out. I agree with Gray, Magni are a good choice and value for money, Topping cropped up too when doing my research.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts