Best HD-DVD player for multichannel audio output sound quality?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I need an HD DVD player with multichannel outs as I have an old amp. Is there any difference in sound quality between the XE1 and the EP35? The EP35 is newer but the XE1 is more expensive and has been out for a while. Are they a match sonically? Will they sound better than my Toshiba SD900e DVD player? I'm really attracted by the price, you can buy the EP35 for £279 including a handful of highly dodgy titles that Toshiba have chosen to bundle the player with. Cheers Toshiba, but quite frankly I'd rather have another £50 off the price. After all, it's hardly as though I need to be GIVEN HD DVDs if I'm paying money for a player! I'm bound to buy them after all. So weird sales logic. But there we are. So, for MY set-up, knowing that I can only do this with multichannel audio out from the player, which is best? Not bothered about the money as long as it's under £500 and not 2% difference in quality for 40% differnence in price. But seriously which is the best? Can anyone help? Should I look at a player other than a Tosh, will another brand be markedly different? Cheers for the advice, looking forward to Christmas with a new player to add to my Tosh DVD player. (On the subject of which, if I did go for an EP35, would it sound better and have a better image on SD DVDs than my exiting DVD player? It is rather a lush one!)

A

Anonymous

Will, what about the new Ventura? You won't have it for Christmas but looks like it will be pitched at under £150(sub-$200 Stateside). Will 'only' do 720p/1080i but I guess you are not looking to spend a fortune on the 'second favourite' in the format wars.

A

Anonymous

Well there is an answer to the Ventura question. I popped into a Tescos in Bournemouth I think it was, about two weeks ago (as you do). They happened to sell TVs in this particular store and there were about 8 LG screens and another 6 Ventura screens, one or two Philips making up the numbers.

I have never seen a worse image in all my life. Ventura are clearly re-badged crxx. They are cheaper than other brands, and they are soooooooo bad it beggars belief.

So if they launch anything, HD DVD players, anything, don't go near them with a bargepole. Not for your kids room, not for anyone.

A

Anonymous

Thats why they are cheap. I take it you are after a HD dvd player, rather than a High Def (HD/Blu-ray) player otherwise you would have mentioned the PS3.

A

Anonymous

Well the PS3 has no multichannel audio outs otherwise I'd just go out and buy one of them frankly. So, no, I'm not after a PS3. Pity.

Can't understand your post though David, as you've basically said one thing then contradicted it straight after. I'm not too fussed if it's Blu Ray or HD-DVD they're both Hi-Def. I'm interested in the quality of the multichannel analogue audio outputs they have, coupled to a really good 720p picture. Yes 720p. NOT 1080p. Not not not not 1080p. Just in case anyone missed that ;-)

My screen is 720p so that's all I need my player to do brilliantly.

A

Anonymous

Still not too sure of what you mean? HDMI 1.3 carries multi-channel audio out, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD and anything else you may want to mention. Your post did ask for best HD-DVD player ( the Venturer being the tag along joke), not best High Def player. Get a really good upscaler if you only want 720p.

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
David, It does not matter if the player has HDMI 1.3 since Will wants multichannel analogue audio outputs and not all HDMI 1.3 players have this. I too have an SD-900E Will and understand your concerns regarding the quality of the audio since the SD-900E really excels with audio. I cannot comment on the HD-EP35 since I have not seen or heard one but I have seen and heard the HD-XE1 and I was really impressed with both picture quality and audio (admittedly audio was being delivered to the AV received digitally through HDMI and not multichannel analogue outputs). Hope this helps. Kind regards, Darren

A

Anonymous

Thanks Darren,

Great to have a post from someone who understands!

David, some of what you've written is correct, but even if I was looking for a player to carry audio via HDMI there are still differences between players. You may be thinking a one is a one is a one. Right? It's digital right, so how can sound quality vary? Lots of ways, save to say that the differences can be enormous. That's the first thing.

Second, my Toshiba DVD player puts out a beautiful picture. So good that even though it doesn't upscale, the Samsung screen has no trouble scaling it up and de-interlacing it such that it looks about as good as an SD DVD can. This is not the same as having an HD disk where the data coming in at 1080p can be scaled down to crisply fit my screen pretty much pixel for pixel. There is a big difference here, especially on a 50 inch screen.

So, thank you Darren for your thoughts on the XE1. Still looks as though the new year sales might be the best way to go!

A

Anonymous

(Head in hands)

Does anyone read the posts at the top these days?

LOL. Tallyho is clearly leaping before looking. Come on Tallyho, you've been here a while. Don't tell me you think the Denon 1940 is an HD deck? God help us all if you do.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Will Harris"](Head in hands)
Does anyone read the posts at the top these days?
LOL. Tallyho is clearly leaping before looking. Come on Tallyho, you've been here a while. Don't tell me you think the Denon 1940 is an HD deck? God help us all if you do.

[/quote]

Forgive me Will.....Sorry, of course it isn't an HD deck....I mean I should know I've got one-Didn't read the subject heading carefully, but do also seem to remember you mentioning at one time that you may have been interested in a Denon 1940

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts