Best gig of 2013

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The Young Gods in London was definitely the best individual gig, also Fonda 500, Electric Soft Parade, and a crazy Japanese guy called Ichi were fantastic at a festival I went to.

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Has to be Springsteen at the Olympic Park for me,

mainly because, well he is always great live but also because having taken my wife to Bob Dylan and Neil Young in the past and left feeling massively let down as neither were anywhere near their best and frankly looked like they couldnt be bothered, only confirming her previous view that they are both rubbish anyway - she walked away from the Oympic Park a convert and is now prepared to listen to The Boss all night :rockout:

Plus, and this is slightly less rock'n'roll, it was about 90 degrees and we were stood on the astroturf of the old football pitch thus saving me from my usual hayfever / asthma attack at these affairs! 8)

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Paul Clarke said:
Being a father of young children, my gig attendance is very few and far between these days.

That said, I did catch The Who performing Quadrophenia at the O2 which was superb.

it was more than just a gig. I thought it was a real event. The performance was of of course incredible, but the accompanying visuals were just incredible. Keith and the Ox also put in an appearance. Sounds corny but it was very well done, very respectful and added to the show.

i wasn't lucky enough to see the original line up but I have managed to see the band 25+ times since 89. The Quad shows may have been their swansong but with the 50th anniversary in 2914, WHO knows!!!!!!

This was one of only 2 gigs for me and rare at that. My first time seeing the WHO and was a great show. The clip from Bass player was just amazing!

All I can say is the sound was EPIC & mesmerising.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
BillDay66 said:
Has to be Springsteen at the Olympic Park for me,

mainly because, well he is always great live but also because having taken my wife to Bob Dylan and Neil Young in the past and left feeling massively let down as neither were anywhere near their best and frankly looked like they couldnt be bothered, only confirming her previous view that they are both rubbish anyway - she walked away from the Oympic Park a convert and is now prepared to listen to The Boss all night :rockout:

Plus, and this is slightly less rock'n'roll, it was about 90 degrees and we were stood on the astroturf of the old football pitch thus saving me from my usual hayfever / asthma attack at these affairs! 8)

Same for me. I've seen him a few times, and this gig probably comes a close second to the first time I saw him, Wembley Arena in 1981.

But this time I was there with the wife and kids (all huge Boss fans) and we were standing right at the front. Here's a shot I took with my phone.

The highlights were, well, the performance of the whole of the Born in the USA album from beginning to end (which is released on DVD today along with the new High Hopes CD), and a memorable version of Jungleland -- a warm summer evening, the stage bathed in blue light, the band as tight as it's ever been, and the atmosphere just magical.

It's also worth pointing out that, whereas you can spend £2000 to see the Stones, the Olympic Park tickets were £75, and the other bands on before Bruce were pretty good, esp. Alabama Shakes and The Zac Brown Band. (I didn't think much of The Black Crows though: too much self-indulgent axemanship.)

Matt

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
The Young Gods in London was definitely the best individual gig, also Fonda 500, Electric Soft Parade, and a crazy Japanese guy called Ichi were fantastic at a festival I went to.

Forgot that I went to see The Stones in Hyde Park, and The Stone Roses at Finsbury Park, the Roses gig was definitely the better of the two, but as always with Stone Roses park gigs, the support acts were sh*te.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts