Best for SD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, im currently looking for new tv. I want to be future proof so i want it HD but at the moment I only have SD Sky and an upscaling DVD player. I know ther can be a lot of issues with watching SD (especially football which will be one of the main things I watch) so I was looking for any recommendations. So far im looking at the Panasonic 32lxd70 and the sony 32p3020. I seen on a previous post that the panasonic was considered the better but is it worth the extra £175. (Panny £600, Sony £425). Sound quality isnt an issue as I have an adequate home cinema system. One other thing, im not sure wether its best to go plasma or LCD. Any help would be much appreciated

Many thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, the first question has to be how far are you sitting from the set? I would generally recommend a plasma set, but at 32", you are much better off going for a LCD set (mostly because I think you would really struggle to get a plasma that size). The recommended distance for 32" is a minimum of 2.1m (for SD broadcasts - you can afford to sit closer if using it for mainly for HD). Any further than 3.5m needs a bigger set.

My own personal recommendations differ from that slightly - I sit about 3m from my TV and I have a 42" and think it's a perfect size. I think other considerations have to come into affect here though e.g. there is a lot of space either side of my TV making it seem smaller than it probably is. If my room was narrower, I suspect the 42" would look bigger.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply, I currently sit 2m - 2.5m away from my TV. Do you think I would notice a drop in quality in SD broadcasts. Im currently using a Samsung LE-26R74BD, I am more than happy with the SD picture quality on it, however I feel it looks a little small and I want to move it into the spare room to use with my Xbox 360. Also are the 2 TVs that I mentioned any better than what I already have?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

If you have room, I would go for a 37" Plasma if you are watching mostly SD. Plasma is better than LCD for moving sport and such like. You can pick up The PanasonicTH37 PX80 plasma for about £630-££700

A

Anonymous

Would 2.5m be too close to watch a 37" SD Broadcast on the plasma?

A

Anonymous

I have just been reading about the TH37PX80 would this be recommended over the TVs I have already stated, also what about the new Panny TX32LXD85 would I be better off waiting for this. Any help would be greatly appreciated as im feeling a bit lost

A

Anonymous

[quote user="dynamodrago"]
I have just been reading about the TH37PX80 would this be recommended over the TVs I have already stated, also what about the new Panny TX32LXD85 would I be better off waiting for this. Any help would be greatly appreciated as im feeling a bit lost

[/quote]

The TH37PX80 is the best value for the money. The previous model the PX70 won loads of awards, including on this site. The PX80 is better (just released). Available at £619 from Dixons (use code AW20 at check out)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="dynamodrago"]

Would 2.5m be too close to watch a 37" SD Broadcast on the plasma?

[/quote]

No. But check it out in the shops with you own eyes.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
rewerb - do you know what dixons mean by "wall install"? ideally, due to some mobility problems, id need them to take the old one away and install the new one, but "wall install" is expensive. Tho there is a cheaper install option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts