Best electronic for Monitor Audio GX100

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all. Im buying a pair of Monitor Audio GX100 + GXC150 (center). My priority is listening music .

Let me know the best stereo electronic ( pre +power or integrated) for my speakers.

Thank you guys so much!

Regards

Ricardo

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Richard, what is your budget, what music do you like and how do you like your system to sound?

Have you already got an AV amp, and are you intending to use the pre outs into a stereo amp?

RICARDOVASCO said:
Hi all. Im buying a pair of Monitor Audio GX100 + GXC150 (center). My priority is listening music .

Let me know the best stereo electronic ( pre +power or integrated) for my speakers.

Thank you guys so much!

Regards

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo

Have you auditioned the GX100's and GXC150 please? If so, what electronics and cables were used?

Is this part of a complete surround system? If so what other components will you/or are thinking of using?

Your existing system is?

What do you generally listen to?

Is there anything in particular you would like the amplifier to have (such as remote, tone controls, mp3 input, headphone socket, phono input etc.)?

The size of your room?

Your listening distance?

Your general listening level?

Power requirements?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

What interconnects and speakers cables will you use?

Your overall budget is?

What kind of presentation are you looking for the system to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Crocodile said:
You can't drive a centre speaker from a stereo amp.

Hi Crocodile. I forgot that. Im really newbie on these stuffs but what I can buy to use the center? I'd like to have a stereo setup but also would like to have the center for movies. Maybe a receiver would fix that. Isn't it?

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT said:
RICARDOVASCO said:

Thank you guys so much!

Regards

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo

Have you auditioned the GX100's and GXC150 please? If so, what electronics and cables were used?

Is this part of a complete surround system? If so what other components will you/or are thinking of using?

Your existing system is?

What do you generally listen to?

Is there anything in particular you would like the amplifier to have (such as remote, tone controls, mp3 input, headphone socket, phono input etc.)?

The size of your room?

Your listening distance?

Your general listening level?

Power requirements?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

What interconnects and speakers cables will you use?

Your overall budget is?

What kind of presentation are you looking for the system to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks Rick! Actualy I've never auditioned them. Im buying them because its the "best buy"possible in Brazil. They are cheaper even than in USA . I can not buy another speaker in the same range of MA new gold for its price.

My room got like 32 meters ( 7m x 4,5m). The listening distance is complicated. I mean, I will have a sofa like 2..2,5 meters close but I'd like to fill all the room because sometimes I won't be sitting on the sofa. For surronds I will use in wall speakers. I have not much space left and they will be used mostly for movies. This room got like 1 furniture where the speakers will be seated and 2 others.. I donk like to listen tooo high volume.. just mid and stereo. That my priority... quality.. stereo sound..detalied but powerfull because I will listen mostly House Music ( Hed Kandi, Ministry of Sound,etc). I do like vocal a lot.My budget for the pre+amp / integrated is hard to tell. Depends how much more quality they will bring me. I mean, 2500 usd for example. If another piece gives me much more quality costing 3.. 3.5k.. I can consider. Otherwise, I would buy the"best buy"one. I have no plan to upgrade my system. Thats why I need a good one.

I hope it helps you. Sorry about my poor english ; )

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
I've only heard the GX100 with Crus 8 and it sounded really good. However, I'd strongly advise you to audition one or two different amps.

Thanks plastic penguin. Which ones do you recommend? Are these good options?

• Krell S-300i
  • Ayre AX7e
  • Creek Destiny 2
  • Moon i3.3
  • Bryston B100 SST
  • Musical Fidelity M6i

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
Richard, what is your budget, what music do you like and how do you like your system to sound? Have you already got an AV amp, and are you intending to use the pre outs into a stereo amp?

Thanks CnoEvil! You have helped me a lot! ; )

The music I do like is House Music,vocal house,progressive house, disco house, lounge,etc.. as I said Im really newbie on that. I do like stereo sound, very clear and pure vocal, detailed, and good bass ( not too punchy) because most of these musics need it.

I have no idea about the correct electronic... integrated or preamp..... thats why I need a lot your help. I need a good one for this type of music and I also need to find a way to use the center GXC150 for movies. Do you think is better to have a receiver for that?

Regards

Ricardo

RICARDOVASCO said:
plastic penguin said:
I've only heard the GX100 with Crus 8 and it sounded really good. However, I'd strongly advise you to audition one or two different amps.

• Krell S-300i
  • Ayre AX7e
  • Creek Destiny 2
  • Moon i3.3
  • Bryston B100 SST
  • Musical Fidelity M6i

Don't really know TBH. I've only heard them the once with Cyrus so have nothing to compare with. Also, I've not heard any of the amps you've listed, that I know of. I have heard a Bryston amp but couldn't tell you the model and heard Creek Evo2, not the Destiny.

Sorry.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
RICARDOVASCO said:
plastic penguin said:

• Krell S-300i
  • Ayre AX7e
  • Creek Destiny 2
  • Moon i3.3
  • Bryston B100 SST
  • Musical Fidelity M6i

Those are all competent amps.

I would suggest that you use the MF M6i as a reference to judge all others against.

Do you have access to brands like Vincent, Pathos, Sugden, Electrocompaniet and Unison Research?

As for using the centre speaker, you need a cheap AV amp with pre-outs. There was a thread on here not so long ago, where John Duncan gave a list (I think)...others may help here.

With a decent 2 channel set up with a sub, you may not even miss a centre speaker.

Cno

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
RICARDOVASCO said:
plastic penguin said:

• Krell S-300i
  • Ayre AX7e
  • Creek Destiny 2
  • Moon i3.3
  • Bryston B100 SST
  • Musical Fidelity M6i

Those are all competent amps. I would suggest that you use the MF M6i as a reference to judge all others against. Do you have access to brands like Vincent, Pathos, Sugden, Electrocompaniet and Unison Research? As for using the centre speaker, you need a cheap AV amp with pre-outs. There was a thread on here not so long ago, where John Duncan gave a list (I think)...others may help here. With a decent 2 channel set up with a sub, you may not even miss a centre speaker. Cno

Thanks Cno! I will buy it in US ,probably in NYC. If these brands you suggested are available over there, I could buy. Are they the cheap ones you were talking about or they would fight with M6i?

I found a guy who had M6i and Naim Nait XS. He said that :

Hi,

I had a Nait XS and owning a M6i right now. They are both great and excel in musicality. The XS has more attack, punch and rhytmic precision, sounds great with all kind of music. The M6i is a smoother, much more relaxed sounding amp, with powerfull bass and a sweet top end, but lacks a bit of excitement when listening to uptempo music - complete antithesis of the hyped Cyrus amps (which I also owned for a few months). It may not impress on a short demo, but give it a few days and you will admire its silky smooth, "organic" presentation, especially with vocals. And do not forget that it has the power to stay relaxed regardless the volume level and the speakers it drives. It makes you listen whole albums instead of just tracks and that is what I want from a hi-fi gear.

is it true? I mean M6i lacks a bit. Is it true?

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
RICARDOVASCO said:
plastic penguin said:

• Krell S-300i
  • Ayre AX7e
  • Creek Destiny 2
  • Moon i3.3
  • Bryston B100 SST
  • Musical Fidelity M6i

Those are all competent amps. I would suggest that you use the MF M6i as a reference to judge all others against. Do you have access to brands like Vincent, Pathos, Sugden, Electrocompaniet and Unison Research? As for using the centre speaker, you need a cheap AV amp with pre-outs. There was a thread on here not so long ago, where John Duncan gave a list (I think)...others may help here. With a decent 2 channel set up with a sub, you may not even miss a centre speaker. Cno

Thanks Cno! I will buy it in US ,probably in NYC. If these brands you suggested are available over there, I could buy. Are they the cheap ones you were talking about or they would fight with M6i?

Hi,

I had a Nait XS and owning a M6i right now. They are both great and excel in musicality. The XS has more attack, punch and rhytmic precision, sounds great with all kind of music. The M6i is a smoother, much more relaxed sounding amp, with powerfull bass and a sweet top end, but lacks a bit of excitement when listening to uptempo music - complete antithesis of the hyped Cyrus amps (which I also owned for a few months). It may not impress on a short demo, but give it a few days and you will admire its silky smooth, "organic" presentation, especially with vocals. And do not forget that it has the power to stay relaxed regardless the volume level and the speakers it drives. It makes you listen whole albums instead of just tracks and that is what I want from a hi-fi gear.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
RICARDOVASCO said:
plastic penguin said:

• Krell S-300i
  • Ayre AX7e
  • Creek Destiny 2
  • Moon i3.3
  • Bryston B100 SST
  • Musical Fidelity M6i

Hi,

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
RICARDOVASCO said:

Hi,

It's true for him.

I don't like Naim, so for me, I much prefer the M6i. It's vital that you find out for yourself as it's so subjective. It makes a great standard to set as a reference.

The other amps I mentioned may be priced differently in the US, but each has a whole range of prices. I always make suggestions that I feel are musical rather than clinical, as I think a more organic presentation sounds best. You might also check out Americam brands like McIntosh, and Canadian brands like Classe.

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
RICARDOVASCO said:

Hi,

It's true for him. I don't like Naim, so for me, I much prefer the M6i. It's vital that you find out for yourself as it's so subjective. It makes a great standard to set as a reference. The other amps I mentioned may be priced differently in the US, but each has a whole range of prices. I always make suggestions that I feel are musical rather than clinical, as I think a more organic presentation sounds best. You might also check out Americam brands like McIntosh, and Canadian brands like Classe.

I see. The problem is I have no chance to listen mostly of them in Brazil and my GF will bring it to me from NY so I can listen to them in US as well. I can only point the one I want and done ; )

Some people told me GX100 are very neutral speakers so they match with almost all integrated. Do you prefer M6i than Krell s300i? I have another sily question from a "junior"guy like me.. lol I've seen M6i is a dual mono integrated. I want a stereo setup. Will it bring me a stereo sound? Is there any stereo integrated or If I want stereo I need to go for pre+ amp?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I haven't heard the Krell, but if the WHF review is anything to go by, it wouldn't be my "cup of tea" - http://www.whathifi.com/review/krell-s-300i

The M6i is designed to have 2 mono amps in one body which makes it a stereo amp.....dual mono should give a better sound.

Unless you wish to spend considerably more, a good integrated amp is the way to go (imo).

RICARDOVASCO said:
CnoEvil said:
RICARDOVASCO said:
plastic penguin said:

• Krell S-300i
  • Ayre AX7e
  • Creek Destiny 2
  • Moon i3.3
  • Bryston B100 SST
  • Musical Fidelity M6i

Hi,

I think there are many aspects at work here: A) This is just the view of one person B) It also depends what speakers and source he was using/room acoustics C) Everyone hears different things D) When an amp isn't quite as attacking, it should be great for long listening sessions.

Like Cno I'm not a huge fan of Naim. Although roughly around the same price as my Leema, tonally, for me, is far more 'ear friendly' than the Naim.

From personal experience I know you can manipulate, to certain extent, the tonal qualities of an amp, so what that reviewer experiences, maybe totally different to yours, depending on your source. This is why I always encourage an audition wherever and whenever possible.

A

Anonymous

If you're doing centre and surround, I would start with a good AV receiver. The sound quality is excellent these days, and value wise they are miles ahead of stereo only amps which command a premium. Set your budget, and go and listen to Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo etc and work from there.

Forget high price/low VFM british exotica for now and concentrate on a good AV amp with pre-outs. When you have that sorted you could audition some stereo amps if you have money left, but I reckon you won't need anything else...

Only my opinion though.

A

Anonymous

snivilisationism said:
If you're doing centre and surround, I would start with a good AV receiver. The sound quality is excellent these days, and value wise they are miles ahead of stereo only amps which command a premium. Set your budget, and go and listen to Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo etc and work from there.

Forget high price/low VFM british exotica for now and concentrate on a good AV amp with pre-outs. When you have that sorted you could audition some stereo amps if you have money left, but I reckon you won't need anything else...

Only my opinion though.

Thanks snivilisationism! As I said my priority is listening house music so the center ...surround.. subwoofer.. they would be used only for movies. Don't you think is better to buy a integrated and in the future, buy a receiver? I need the speakers playing with the maximum quality possible so I think integrated could "feed"them better. Isn't it? Maybe I can buy a simple system for movies and a simple receiver as well.

Regards

Ricardo

A

Anonymous

I have GX200 running with Cyrus 8XPd inegrated amp and they sound MAGIC ! The best combination I have owned so far. I tried them in the shop but OMG they sound even better at home..

You won't be disappointed with that mix.

I hope this helps!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
RICARDOVASCO said:
Thanks snivilisationism! As I said my priority is listening house music so the center ...surround.. subwoofer.. they would be used only for movies. Don't you think is better to buy a integrated and in the future, buy a receiver? I need the speakers playing with the maximum quality possible so I think integrated could "feed"them better. Isn't it? Maybe I can buy a simple system for movies and a simple receiver as well.

Regards

Ricardo

This would certainly be my advice. IMO It takes a fairly expensive AV amp to match even a good budget 2 channel amp like the Rega Brio R.... Highly subjective though.

A

Anonymous

I've heard the Class D integrated would be a good choice for the type of musics I do like. I saw a lot of reviews of Wyred 4 Sound STI-500 Integrated. All of them are saying very good things about this Integrated. Do you guys know it? 250w -8 and 550-4. Thats amazing ,costing 2000 usd.

Let me know about that.

Regards

Ricardo

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
RICARDOVASCO said:
I've heard the Class D integrated would be a good choice for the type of musics I do like. I saw a lot of reviews of Wyred 4 Sound STI-500 Integrated. All of them are saying very good things about this Integrated. Do you guys know it? 250w -8 and 550-4. Thats amazing ,costing 2000 usd.

Let me know about that.

Regards

Ricardo

Never heard that particular amp..... The only Class D amps that I've ever heard and liked, are from Bel Canto.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts