Best Buys & Awards

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I must be missing something here. Why, in the top [red] navigation bar, is there a 'Best Buys' tab and an 'Awards' tab? The Best Buy tab just provides the same info as the Awards tab, just less.

I'm sure there must be a sensible explanation, so perhaps someone at WHF could enlighten me, please?????

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site

I feel sure I've "asked nicely" so could I have an answer please?

Edit: Oh and the Quote button doesn't quote, if you could help me/us with that as well?????

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
relocated said:
I feel sure I've "asked nicely" so could I have an answer please?

Edit: Oh and the Quote button doesn't quote, if you could help me/us with that as well?????

The quote function works well for me. Try again.

I did but it didn't work again. Lets see now.

Edit: There, it managed to work this time. Others it seems are having similar problems.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
As I understand it, Best Buys change as the year progresses, whereas the Awards only get updated annually. Awards week is when the two align. From here on in, as new products come out that displace Award winners, the Best Buys are updated; Awards are set in stone for the full year.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
As I understand it, Best Buys change as the year progresses, whereas the Awards only get updated annually. Awards week is when the two align. From here on in, as new products come out that displace Award winners, the Best Buys are updated; Awards are set in stone for the full year.

Thanks Clare.

My enquiry is because when the site was made "new", the Best Buys were just the 2013 Award winners, just as they are now the 2014 winners. It would also seem that something could easily remain a best buy and yet not be a current price point champion; or indeed be a best buy product, but have no Awards and therefore Best Buy category.

It would be very interesting to hear from WHF themselves, as I believe I addressed it to them, unless you are back at WHF now Clare? The construction of your reply tells me you are not.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Thanks Clare
regular_smile.gif

In regard to the OP, Clare is correct: we've just updated all the Best Buys to match the 2014 Award winners. But over the coming year, as inevitably existing 2014 Award winners get beaten by newer products in Group Tests and Supertests, the Best Buys will gradually change. The Awards won't, as obviously they are set in stone until October next year.

It is of course perfectly possible for a product to qualify as a Best Buy outside of the Awards price/category parameters. So if, say, we particularly rate an expensive stereo or multichannel amp, there is no reason why we couldn't put that in the relevant Best Buy category if we so chose.

To give you an immediate example, we didn't have a category in the Awards this year for Blu-ray/HDD recorders as very few companies now make them. But that hasn't stopped us making the Panasonic DMR-BWT740 a Best Buy recommendation outside of the Awards:

http://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/dvdblu-rayhdd-recorders

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
No, am not. Just trying to be helpful, in the manner of best forum-goers the world over :)

As I knew you were, as indeed you always are. Just being a liitle flippant to tease out a reply from WHF themselves. And it's worked, hurrah. *dance4*

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your reply "to the OP", [oooohhh that's me ]. I imagined that is what should happen, only with the previous 'Best Buys' only being a repeat of the 2013 Awards, following the website 'upgrade', I found myself in need of reassurance.

Any idea why the 'Quote' function doesn't actually quote sometimes? Thanking you in anticipation of your input/resolution.

There's probably a bug when quoting the first post. Just make sure what you quote starts with [ quote=username ] and end with [ /quote ] (ignore the spaces). So, something like this (putting in reverse order so it doesn't quote):

[/quote]

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your input BB, even though I don't understand what you are telling me. I just expect the 'Quote' button to quote just like it always used to. I've set up a seperate thread now to, hopefully, draw all the problems and observations to one point, rather than have it spread over many.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts