admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,
What hifi recommends the following as the Best Buy Midrange Hi-Fi system:

http://whathifi.com/Review/Cyrus-CD-6-SE/

Cyrus CD 6 SE -

Roksan Kandy K2 amp -B&W 685

I am new to good hifi setups, but was wondering is it really worth while pairing the 125watt £750 amp with the £380 B&W?

Would the much cheaper Best Buy "Budget" amp NAD C326BEE not perform to a similar standard with these speakers? After all, what hifi says "if you keep your partnering speakers below the £500 mark you'll find this amp to be nigh-on faultless"...

Thanks for the advice

Conor

SteveR750

matthewpiano:Ah, but you see the B&Ws perform above their price point and really deserve an amp like the Roksan.

Hmmmmnot sure I'd agree totally with this - better off buying a pair of used DM602 S3 and save £180, though the K2 deserves better than a pair of budget B&W's

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Objectively, any (most) four star reviewed (by any major HiFi Mag) mid range Hi Fi Components are well worth considering, if you partner them correctly.

WHFSAV (or any other mag come to that) will give 5 stars to those 4 star components which correspond to the subjective taste of the reviewer; more often than not Cyrus for WHFSAV, if you concur than great, but don't feel insecure if your tastes are different- know your own mind and tastes. Cyrus, Naim, Roksan, Musical Fidelity etc all approach perfection from different directions

The best value mid range system may well be a heavily discounted ex demo upper mid / low high end system fron a manufacturer who is most in tune to your own tastes

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Double the speaker budget to do the system justice in my opinion.

If the Cyrus is the match of all CDPs up to a grand and beyond, why on earth spend a small (relatively) on speakers?

ÿ

T

the record spot

Yep, see if you can get a hold of some Leema Xeros to have a listen. £650 standmount that reviewed very well some months back.

matthewpiano

SteveR750:
matthewpiano:Ah, but you see the B&Ws perform above their price point and really deserve an amp like the Roksan.

Hmmmmnot sure I'd agree totally with this - better off buying a pair of used DM602 S3 and save £180, though the K2 deserves better than a pair of budget B&W's

Yes, what I meant to say really was that an amp like the K2 will get the absolute best out of the 685s. Of course the K2 deserves better speakers than the 685s ultimately. I don't even think the 685s are the best are their price (Mezzo 2s and the Dali Ikon 1s are much better IMO), but there should be good synergy between the 3 components recommended by WHF.

As ever I would strongly urge the OP to audition the set-up in question alongside one or two alternatives to make sure they achieve the sound THEY require.

As an aside, I personally think the difference between the 602 S3 and the 685s is quite noticeable. The midrange is much better on the 685s (less held back).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts