best buy amp for B&W 683

Viking

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, I've been looking at amps for the last couple of months and have come to these two amps. NADC356BEE or Arcam fmj a19. I realise that these two amps are around the same price mark in England, but where I live in Sweden the Nad is slightly cheaper than it is in England but the Arcam is around 200 pounds higher. Is the Arcam this much better than the Nad for driving a pair of B&W 683's or is the difference not worth the extra cash. It's not so easy to test so many different makes of amps here as the distances between towns is far greater and the availability of products is not so great. Thanks for any advise you can give me & happy new year to all.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi Viking,

What size is your room and how loud do you like to play your music? The FMJ A19 is 50WPC, it might not fill in the 683s on occassions.

Viking

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi, the space is 4.5m x 6.5m but it is very open plan into other areas as well. The Denon PMA250 iii I have at the moment is rated at 30 watts but is very loud. The Nad I've been looking at is rated at 80 watts. I do like to play music loud when I'm home alone, but want to enjoy music at lower volumes as well. Surely, if I buy an 80 watt amp, it doesn't mean I have to always use it to full power?

Thanks very much for your help.

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Generally the more powerful the amp the more control it will have at low volumes.

No you don't have to use it at max power!

As an extreme example I have a 600w rms amp for my subwofer which typically uses less than 1w most of the time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts