Best budget set up for Technics 1210?

Pluko63

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

First post to the forums and would appreciate some guidance.

Wanting to get back into vinyl and in particular old soul (plus jazz, rock and anything else in between) and have just got my hands on a mk5 Technics 1210.

I thought I had a short list of amplifiers and floorstanding speakers to demo but then made the mistake of reading lots of forum posts !!

The set up will either go in the spare room - 14' x 10' or if I'm lucky, the open plan kitchen/diner - measuring 30' x 15' ish. Budget is approx. £450 to £500 ish.

I did look at older amplifiers such as Pioneer A400 and Marantz PM66 but decided it was too risky with my total lack of technical ability. These leaves the newer Pioneer A30, Yamaha AS500 and Marantz P6005 as possibles for their phono stages.

My biggest choice is speakers - I initially thought something like the Tannoy V4 floorstanders, I also like the look of older MA speakers such as the BX/BR5 or RS6 or should I be looking at standmounted speakers instead for the size of the rooms (the speakers will be close to walls) such as the 2020i, MA BX2s or the Zensor 1?.

I appreciate its all in the listening but any advice would be gratefully accepted.

lejockey

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi

You can get some fantastic old kef kit really cheap. Their point source uniq drivers are amazing. An old pair of q15's shouldn't set you back more than 30 pounds on eBay. Fantastic little speakers :)

Pluko63

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks lejockey,

I'll take a look - I'm sure I've read somewhere that Kef speakers suit Marantz amps?

Anyone got any other ideas on standmount vs floorstanding speakers :)

richard38

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi, did you replaced the old tonearmcables and the standard(bad) technics cable. First thing you really have to do and won't cost a lot with 100euro you come a lot. Don't use oyaide or so and also not the technics 'hifi' , they are outdated. Buy one good rca cable and do click in theh middle. Tone-arm cables is quite place dependant, so i can't say which one to buy.

Greets richard

richard38

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi, did you replaced the old tonearmcables and the standard(bad) technics cable. First thing you really have to do and won't cost a lot with 100euro you come a lot. Don't use oyaide or so and also not the technics 'hifi' , they are outdated. Buy one good rca cable and do click in theh middle. Tone-arm cables is quite place dependant, so i can't say which one to buy.

Greets richard

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts