Best budget DVD player for £100

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
I want to buy a budget DVD player for £100 or less
The Samsung 870 is on the top of my choice but do you recommend any other model?
If it can also offer upscaling better!!!
I am also considering the Oppo DV-980H but I am not sure I want to go up to £175
I am not going to use all the Oppo's extra features in my bedroom :)

Thanks in advance!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:It is, yes - won a group test. And no, I couldn't see the review online either (and don't have my copy to hand). Am sure somebody will jump in shortly.

I have the Sony model that came second in that group test. Although it's only connected to my 20 inch screen in the dining room, it really is a good dvd player for the money (I got mine a while ago on Amazon for £49.99 delivered!). However, instead of the Oppo, seriously hunt out a bargain for the Denon DVD1940. I've seen them for £130-£140. Ridiculous price as it's brilliant. And again, if you really want to keep under £100, the Denon 1740 can be got for £99 and will be better than the Onkyo.

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:It is, yes - won a group test. And no, I couldn't see the review online either (and don't have my copy to hand). Am sure somebody will jump in shortly. I have the Sony model that came second in that group test. Although it's only connected to my 20 inch screen in the dining room, it really is a good dvd player for the money (I got mine a while ago on Amazon for £49.99 delivered!). However, instead of the Oppo, seriously hunt out a bargain for the Denon DVD1940. I've seen them for £130-£140. Ridiculous price as it's brilliant. And again, if you really want to keep under £100, the Denon 1740 can be got for £99 and will be better than the Onkyo.

Thanks! I will check out both the Sony and the two Denon

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Dennis Michos:
Great! Can anyone name the model please? I can't wait till tomorrow (I am buying the latest WHF issue)
Is it the DV-SP406?
Thanks!

I think it is. My copy is at home. It sneaked home from the Sony but the Denons mentioned would be a lot better in my opinion and the Samsung you first mentioned is below them all.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Dennis Michos:
Great! Can anyone name the model please? I can't wait till tomorrow (I am buying the latest WHF issue)
Is it the DV-SP406?
Thanks!

I think it is. My copy is at home. It sneaked home from the Sony but the Denons mentioned would be a lot better in my opinion and the Samsung you first mentioned is below them all.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Dennis Michos:
Is it the DV-SP406?
Thanks!

I've just seen a silver Denon 1940 on Peter Tyson online at £129.90 delivered.

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Gerrardasnails:Dennis Michos:

Is it the DV-SP406?
Thanks!
I think it is. My copy is at home. It sneaked home from the Sony but the Denons mentioned would be a lot better in my opinion and the Samsung you first mentioned is below them all. I've just seen a silver Denon 1940 on Peter Tyson online at £129.90 delivered.

This is absolutely a great price!!! Unfortunately I don't live in UK and no dealer will deliver outside UK
Same Denon is around £200 in Greece which is out of my budget for a bedroom DVD Player.....what is the model of your Sony you bought for £49.95?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Dennis Michos:Gerrardasnails:Gerrardasnails:Dennis Michos:

Is it the DV-SP406?
Thanks!
I think it is. My copy is at home. It sneaked home from the Sony but the Denons mentioned would be a lot better in my opinion and the Samsung you first mentioned is below them all. I've just seen a silver Denon 1940 on Peter Tyson online at £129.90 delivered.

This is absolutely a great price!!! Unfortunately I don't live in UK and no dealer will deliver outside UK
Same Denon is around £200 in Greece which is out of my budget for a bedroom DVD Player.....what is the model of your Sony you bought for £49.95?

The model is DVP NS78. Check this link out Dennis!!

http://www.pixmania.com/gr/gr/632486/art/sony/dvd-reader-dvp-ns78hb.html

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
The Denon would be a good choice at £130 im also looking for a budget dvd player and waiting for whf team to do a review for the up and coming Toshiba XDE- 500 supposed to be a big step up in upscaling to near bluray quality for only £120 available through Amazon.Review in the sept issue on sale on the 18th worth checking that out as well.

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
The deal spotted by Gerraldasnails is really great (70 euros delivered!!) and probably the Sony would have been more than what I needed for the moment
However after reading the WHF reviews I decided to go for the Onkyo which I already ordered for 110 euros delivered (also a good deal I think)
Thanks guys!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts