Best budget CD player?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I'm looking for a budget CD player to add to my current audio setup which consists of a turntable (Rega P1), amplifier (Rotel RA-820AX) and speakers (Mordaunt Short MS10).

Basically I have a fairly sizable CD collection and would like to be able to play them through the hi-fi setup, so I want a budget CD player (I have a budget of about £50'ish, if I can get a decent one for less, or even a bit more, then I don't mind).

Can you recommend anything?

Thanks for your help.

A

Anonymous

You'll pick up a Technics SL-PG580 on ebay for about £30 or so. Anything from that Technics range is good, particularly from that model up. I had one of these prior to buying my current player and it's excellent. I had it hooked up to a Denon amp and two different generations of MS speakers. It won't play MP3 or any other compressed formats but it's a very detailed, fast and dynamic sound, possibly a bit on the bright side, but for that sort of money it's great value IMO.I made a mistake in replacing my Technics with a new budget Cambridge Audio CD5, just for MP3 capability, and regretted it immediately so the CD5 went away in a box and the old Technics came back out again!

Otherwise, if you could squeeze the budget up to the £100 mark, you'll pick up a used Arcam on ebay. Completely different sound to the Technics of course - much warmer - but good in a different way!

T

the record spot

If you find a decent older model, the Marantz CD52 Mk II is a good buy as well. I can vouch for both though; the aforementioned Technica SLPG-580A is very decent for the money as said.

A

Anonymous

I can vouch for the Marantz CD52 - i've got one as a "back up" and sounds pretty decent for the £30 I paid for it. Pretty solidly built as well.

A

Anonymous

Pioneer PD-S702 (seller has the wrong photo and this may sell for cheap)

Pioneer PD-S703 .... I have one and is very good .... search ebay for others as they sell for very cheap (Paid £3 for mine from a carboot sale)

Rotel RCD 965BX .... there will be many others perhaps cheaper (look for sellers who do not ship abroad)

TRENDING THREADS