Best Audio or MP3 recorder

Memphismusic

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I have an old Sony DAT player and want to transfer a tape and put on CD (it's a private tape recording, not illegal copying) without hooking up to a PC.

Anyone know of a good quality, but not too expensive bit of kit I can hook up to this to record the DAT tape in MP3 or audio so I can then make a CD?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Why are you wanting to avoid a PC? Your DAT player probably has an optical output, which will be 48kHz. A direct digital connection from your DAT player to your PC via any simple USB sound card with an optical input will give you a lossless digital transfer. From your computer you can burn a CD (convert it to 44.1kHz first!) or make MP3s using any multitude of converters. Why compromise buying something which potentially will give you an inferior result.

shadders

Hi,

I am not sure that ripping CD's for Personal use or backup is illegal in the UK. It was illegal, in 2014 it was made legal, and in 2015 I think it was then challenged by the recording industry, and was then stated to be illegal, or they are to change the law???

So, I am a bit unsure if it is illegal in the UK.

Regards,

Shadders.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
He did say in his very first sentence it was his own personal recording. Unless it's his own personal recording of copyright material, there are no legal issues.

shadders

MajorFubar said:
He did say in his very first sentence it was his own personal recording. Unless it's his own personal recording of copyright material, there are no legal issues.
Hi,

Yes - i know - but he did state nothing illegal - so it was a slight diversion into -> i am not sure it is illegal to copy your own music for a network player use. It used to be illegal - but they changed the law - and now possibly changing it back to being illegal.

Regards,

Shadders.

Gray

But yes Major, that's why I asked what device the CD was being burned on, thinking that it was likely to be a PC which as you say, could do the whole job.

You can't help wondering how many would even care about or mention the legality of the recording as the OP did.

How many people viewed the record sleeve skull and crossbones warning that 'Home taping is killing music'.....

while they were home taping somebody else's vinyl?

Memphismusic

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi - sorry been off line for a bit, but to answer the questions.

The legal side is not too serious as I was just covering off if the forum is over moderated - maybe a bit old school and yes I remember the tape with skull and cross bone days before music became free ( good book if you want to read about how the PC, file sharing help create the Spotify / iTunes of today) of today.

i wanted a device I can plug into the DAT player because one it's in my bedroom setup, so to avoid moving to a PC and also not sure if my PC at work has optical.

Yes I could hook up a PC with an amp, DAT and audio to single pin cable to my PC and record with something like Nero, but was looking for something easier.

Dont really want MP3 but I thought there may be devices available to do that and then transfer to USB and then take to my PC to create an audio version.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
have phono out? I'd be surprised if it hasn't, so get a twin phono to stereo 3.5mm male and use the mic in on your laptop. I'll be honest I never got on with Nero, much preferring Roxio, so you need to open the capture settings, then play and save the DAT file in real time to a WAV mp3 or whatever you want. You will have the settings for line level volume etc to set before you capture but it's all straightforward stuff. No other hardware needed :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts