Best atypical film score

Paul.

Hi all, I'm interested in knowing what your favorite film scores are, but not your typical straight up orchestral score. Current favs are Tron legacy, Scott Pilgrem and the Fast and the Furious (the first one by BT, not the others confusingly scored by Brian Tyler). Nowt wrong with a nice string section in there, I just like to see other elements like beats, guitars or synths as well.

Any ideas?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
f644eb6709a0e8313a8a0110.L._AA300_.jpg

A

Anonymous

Bladerunner

Passion (Scorcese film. Not what you'd expect from Peter Gabriel!)

Clockwork Orange

Most Tarantino & Wes Anderson soundtracks

A

Anonymous

Oh, there's also the Social Network soundtrack that's worth checking out

A

Anonymous

up in the air - folk, soul and washed out soundscapes. superb mastering too.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
For highly original orchestration, try some of Bernard Herrmann's fantasy scores, such as 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth' (no strings, but a huge woodwind, brass and percussion section plus (count 'em) five organs), or 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' which overnight made the theremin the go-to electronic instrument to evoke spookiness - there's also a whole electronic section with violin, guitar and bass used in a very atmospheric way. You can get them on CD with Herrmann conducting on Decca.

Another good example is 'Forbidden Planet' from 1956 by Louis and Bebe Baron - totally atonal electronica, years before anything similar.

My favourite score is still 'Bladerunner' though!

A

Anonymous

I know it's really crap, but I love the Scarface soundtrack. Crazy eighties.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts