Best amp under £900

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Everybody,

Recently getting back into my Hi-FI listening and think I need to upgrade my amplifier but to what?

I listen to lossless through a new DacMagic into a 1990 something Pioneer A400X into some new B&W CM8's (Mmmmm).

Other details: Squareish room ~5mx4mx2m lightly furnished, concrete floor with wood veneer. Electronic/Disco/Indy music. Stereo only.

If £900 isnt going to make a lot of difference I would probably just stick with what ive got. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. (I would consider going pre/power amp if there was a reasonable upgrade path wrt $$$....like a tiny project preamp and an 8200P or something)

Thanks

A

Anonymous

The choices for mw would be a Cyrus 8XP, Roksan Kandy K2, 2nd hand Arcam FMJ A32 or A38, NAD C356BEE and possibly the Yamaha AS2000 (again 2nd hand if you can find one)

I've heard the CM8's and CM9's with the Cyrus, NAD, Roksan and Arcam amps and they were all superb; the Cyrus for me pipped the lot due to it's open but detailed soundstage; the Cyrus amps really suit the B&W CM range IMO

I've heard the Yamaha amp a good few times but with M/A, Dali and Dynaudio speakers. Again very good and quite smooth but still detailed and punchy

Just wondering if this'll be the right amp though as it'll help calm any brightness you may get from the CM8's with regards to the way your room is laid out and decorated etc...

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Maybe you can find a 2nd hand pre/po combo, B&W with pre/pro Rotel is nice. Arcam is very boring I absolutely disliked the sound of the a38. NAD is not my cup of team with the CM serie.

Personally I would go for the Naim XS 2nd hand.

A

Anonymous

Second hand. My Lyngdorf SDAI 2175. Except I sold it a month ago for £650. But seriously, if you can find one of these on ebay it's a fantastic amplifier. 200 WPC semi class D will drive most speakers comfortably. Bargain at the 2nd hand prices I've seen (and sold) it. Built like a tank too.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
The Roksan candy K2 is a great amp, but IMO really didn't work with my previous speakers B&W CM7. My previos amp Musical Fidelity XA2 sounded great with them.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If there are any of these left, they are a brilliant buy: http://marketing.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/store/southeast/brighton/3569/content.aspx

If not, try to get a listen to a Rega Brio-R

Here are other good buys: http://www.kronosav.com/products#ecwid:category=1720028&mode=product&product=7516641
or
http://www.kronosav.com/products#ecwid:category=1720028&mode=product&product=7250444

kev g

Mar 4, 2008
Visit site
I have to agree with the Rotel suggestion. I heard a Rotel/B&W CM8 combination at last years Bristol show with Chord cables & thought it was excellent. I guess its demo time....enjoy

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Listen to the new Rega Brio R. I went for a Cyrus 8XP, but it just couldn't excite me. When I heard the Rega Brio R (after repeatly being invited by my dealer because I was totally unknown with Rega) I was sold. Instantly.

Of course it al depends on the music you listen to. In my case this is from Jazz to rock to Metal and everthing in between. The Brio R for me was the best 'all rounder'.

Just my 2cts.

A

Anonymous

As good as the Brio-R is its not powerful enough to make the CM8's sing to their best

Rotel is a good call; the RA1520 would be a great amp to go for!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
hifilover1979 said:
As good as the Brio-R is its not powerful enough to make the CM8's sing to their best

Rotel is a good call; the RA1520 would be a great amp to go for!

I think this is fair comment, but I believe most £900 amps won't do the CM8s justice....Ideally I think the OP needs to be looking ex-dem, or discontinued products at bargin prices.

A

Anonymous

I think ex-demo or well taken care of 2nd hand is the way to go here. I dont think the Brio or Cyrus integrated's have enough power.

Id look at some class D from Bel Canto, or alternatively try to find a deal on an older Bryston 3ST

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I have to agree with the last three posts. While e CM8's aren't particularly hard to drive, I doubt many amps under the £1k mark are going to do much better. I'm not saying the A400x is as good as Amos in this price bracket, just that there won't be much benefit in changing as far as driving the speaker is concerned. If I really had to pick a couple it'd be the Audiolab 8200A and the Rotel RA1520.
I know it means messing about with the system, but replacing the CA DAC with the Audiolab M-DAC and adding an 8200P power amplifier will be the most cost effective route to driving the CM8's properly and appreciating what they're capable of.

A

Anonymous

thfcwestlower said:
I think ex-demo or well taken care of 2nd hand is the way to go here. I dont think the Brio or Cyrus integrated's have enough power.

Id look at some class D from Bel Canto, or alternatively try to find a deal on an older Bryston 3ST

Certainly dont agree re the Cyrus

At 70wpc, it'smore powerful than the Rotel RA1520 and having heard both with the CM8's they did a superb job (all be it the sources were an Audiolab 8200CDP and an iPod via an MF DAC)

You'd be surprised at how well the Cyrus 8XP is good at driving speakers like the CM8's

A

Anonymous

hifilover1979 said:
thfcwestlower said:

Certainly dont agree re the Cyrus

At 70wpc, it'smore powerful than the Rotel RA1520 and having heard both with the CM8's they did a superb job (all be it the sources were an Audiolab 8200CDP and an iPod via an MF DAC)

You'd be surprised at how well the Cyrus 8XP is good at driving speakers like the CM8's

Just my opinion re Cyrus integrated amps. Ive owned several Cyrus products 3/4 years back and like the brand/sound, but always felt that their integrated amps were lightweight. I had an 8 integrated at the time and it was fine with easy to driver bookshelfs but when I moved to Dynaudio which were less sensitive, it really struggled. I ended up switching to bel Canto class D which was a massive improvement. Not sure how the newer Cyrus integrated amps compare

Moving up the Cyrus chain a bit, Im a fan of the power amps (the mono-x are great), but feel that the dedictaed pres were always the weakest link in a higher spec Cyrus setup.

A

Anonymous

Having recently made my decision for the NAD 356BEE i would say my 2 favorite amps were when auditioning...

- NAD 356BEE
- Cyrus 8XP(d)

The Rega Brio R was not available when i was looking but i hear good things, but its a little less power and a phono stage you probably dont need. But i like the look of it a lot.

Of course as everybody says, audition, Using MA RX and Mordaunt Short speakers as my speakers so maybe not as hard to drive as yours. But i will note that the Cyrus and MA RX combination is really good despite what a lot of people used to say about bright and bright, the lastest versions of both products now make a good combination to my ears.

If you want to reduce the number of box's and take your current DAC out of the question then the NAD and Cyrus bit have inbuilt DAC versions. (Thats a consideration for a lot of people, me included, i want minimum devices within reason, WAF :) )

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I'd certainly recommend Cyrus with the CM8s. I started by using an X-power as power amp in stereo mode after my a/v receiver did the pre, but then progressed to eventually pre/power with two X-powers in mono firing the CM8s.

However, one of my Cyrus X-powers is back at the factory after deciding to go faulty after 5 months. Almost a month later, and still no sign. Apparently, upgrades at Cyrus are taking preference over in-warranty repairs - I really hope this isn't true.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the info all, sounds very much unless I for for an RA1520 then I really need to spend more to get the best out of my speakers but my problem is I simply don't need all those inputs, dials and buttons that must cost.

I like the idea of something like an 8200P and an M-Dac but will definately look into the Cyrus stuff too and until then I will stick with what ive got...I only bought the DacMagic a few months ago too, shame, splashing out on the M-Dac may have been a wiser choice but we live and learn. 2nd had market for DM seems reasonable at least.

Thanks again

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
How about a Krell KAV 300i?

Or a Musical Fidelity MXL/P270 combination?

Luxman L525

Pioneer M-73 or A-878

Or a Nakamichi 610/620 combination?

Or an Exposure VII/IV combination?

If I do another online auction site search in a couple of weeks time I’m sure I could come up with another half dozen interesting sub-£900 amps that would be well worth buying and trying.

T

the record spot

Have a look at Onkyo's higher end range - their D9070 or the D9090, the latter I think might be over your budget, but the 9070 is £899 and might be worth a once-over. Fine build, good components internally, could be a bit of a dark horse...

T

the record spot

The 999 is almost rarer than hen's teeth, but would be anywhere between £200-500 dependant on condition. Allow at least £100 for a service post-purchase. The 9500 could be the same and likewise for a service. The massive caveat is those amps are 30-35 years old now and their shelf life is limited. I had an AU717 for two years and great amp though it was, it was in the service shop three times in that period and when the protection circuitry kicked in once again, off it went for good.

Find a mint one though and they're amps that will absolutely beguile you, perform as well as anything up to £1000/£1500 and won't be bettered by anything in a hurry under it. Typically, great phono stages too, MM/MC capability and good for vinyl fans as at least some of those old Sansuis can take two turntables. The above caveats are worth considering though; these amps and those like them, need a lot of TLC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts