Best amp for Mordaunt short Aviano 1 under £250

technic123

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
what are the best amps for under £250 to go with MS Aviano 1

i currently have a technics su x320, would there be a noticeable improvement over this amp

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
There are the usual suspects at this price point:

Denon PMA720AE

Pioneer A30

Cambridge Audio 351A

Marantz PM6004 (recently superceded by the PM6005 so there should be some within your budget now)

I can't say if any of these amplifiers will sound better than your Technics amp - they will more than likely sound different, ideally you need to listen to them and take along the Technics for comparison.

In order for bigger improvements you may have to spend more money (Rega Brio-R, Arcam A19 perhaps) or consider 2nd hand.

technic123

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi

thanks for the advice- i would probably go for the marantz pm6005

i mainly play radio 1 songs such as pop and dance etc

im not quite sure what you mean by 'different' to my technics amp

i do like the sound of the technics although it can sound a bit bright and a tad harsh sometimes- also lacks bass when loudness is not on

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
technic123 said:
Hi

thanks for the advice- i would probably go for the marantz pm6005

i mainly play radio 1 songs such as pop and dance etc

im not quite sure what you mean by 'different' to my technics amp

i do like the sound of the technics although it can sound a bit bright and a tad harsh sometimes- also lacks bass when loudness is not on

I think he meant different as in not the same....

technic123

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the definition of different :roll:

but what I actually meant was what would it sound like different, eg more midrange or dynamic etc

technic123

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site

but what I actually meant was what would it sound like different, eg more midrange or dynamic etc

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
technic123 said:

sorry that was a little naughty...

Some makes of amp have a signature sound - Marantz and Nad hav a 'warm' punchy sound - Yamaha's have a tendency towards brightness

but all amps are different and react differently with different speakers and of course sources

matthewpiano

If you want warm and punchy, with decent bass, then I'd have to say NAD would be your best bet. The C316BEE just falls within budget or, alternatively, seek out a good 2nd hand NAD amp. Very musical kit.

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
My Aviano 1's were well behaved with my Marantz PM6004. After a bit of a switch around I now use them with my old A&R A60 and they sound very similar with that. They don't have a deep bass but what is there is controlled well. I don't like a lot of thumpy bass anyway. I think they behave well in the midrange, and at my age (55) I don't think I'd hear much top end anyway! So yes I would expect them to work well with the PM6005 too.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
By 'different' I mean that the overall sound from the amps mentioned may sound different to the sound that you are used to from the Technics, but not always better. You need to demo in order to see if the improvement is worth the outlay.

NAD would also be a good bet, the 326BEE if you can find one in budget.

technic123

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
thanks for the more helpful advice

appreciate it alot

am stuck between marantz pm6005 and NAD 326BEE right now

you guys seem to think the nad is a great amp but 'what hifi' seem to rate the marantz higher

currently i have to have the 'superb bass' switched on with my technics otherwise the sound is very weak below 100hz

i was considering a subwoofer, but then realized that my Avianos do actually 'kick' when bass is pushed slightly

gasolin

technic123 said:
thanks for the more helpful advice

appreciate it alot

am stuck between marantz pm6005 and NAD 326BEE right now

you guys seem to think the nad is a great amp but 'what hifi' seem to rate the marantz higher

currently i have to have the 'superb bass' switched on with my technics otherwise the sound is very weak below 100hz

i was considering a subwoofer, but then realized that my Avianos do actually 'kick' when bass is pushed slightly

The Nad D3020 has a bass eq on the back (+ 6db)

Considered buying new speakers with more punch then what you got?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts