Best 5.1 setup

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Multi-zone on decent AV amps is like 3D on decent TV's; it just comes as standard so don't get hung up on it as you probably can't avoid it.

As others have stated previously, the extra power output of higher spec amps is not just about generating huge volume (though they'll do that), it's about the amp having enough grip to properly drive high quality speakers at points of peak output during a soundtrack without the sound ever sounding stressed or forced or distortion creeping in.

Other features do increase up the range though, and not all of them may be needed, so if your considering the 86 its worth comparing its spec against the 76 and 56 to establish what the extra features are and whether you'll need them (likewise with comparable Yamaha models). The pioneer 76 would certainly be enough to drive the speakers your considering well enough to fill a room of that size. The new 57 seems to have had a very good review on WHF this weekend as well.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Monitor audio rx 6av12 makes an excellent partner to pioneer amps. Had my setup for a number of years now and it has performed flawlessly.

The piano black looks amazing too. I have gone the "all black theme " too. Sounds like we r going to have similar systems if you go ahead with the purchase. The outgoing lx 86 model will be available at ludicrous prices with the new model coming in. (only seen adverts for the new model)

With features, in my mind it's better to have than not... My 82 doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the newer models. Add an apple tv and you are pretty much there AirPlay iTunes and spotify across from an ithing. I still don't think I have gotthe very best from mine.. Life's priorities have changed a bit in the last while.

On the rx8s- I certainly think they are ott IMHO for your room size.

Look forward to hearing/seeing how it evolves.

The bigger the screen the better too. My 42" pioneer screen looks tiny compared to the new panny.

Keep us posted.

T

theflyingwasp

Hi john1000000boy .just checked out the photos of your system .very nice sir.i know the optional black gloss costs quite a bit extra but god does it look good!!!

Havent seen any reviews of the pioneer lx87 yet .it seems the best choice for my monitor audio set up whatever i end up choosing .sick of speaking about it but i want it done right so i dont have to think about home cinema for a while :wall:

Is that a 65inch tv on your wall? It dosent look that big?

Also do a lot of you guys leave the speaker coverings off does it effect the sound quality coming out.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
Hi john1000000boy .just checked out the photos of your system .very nice sir.i know the optional black gloss costs quite a bit extra but god does it look good!!!

Havent seen any reviews of the pioneer lx87 yet .it seems the best choice for my monitor audio set up whatever i end up choosing .sick of speaking about it but i want it done right so i dont have to think about home cinema for a while :wall:

Is that a 65inch tv on your wall? It dosent look that big?

Also do a lot of you guys leave the speaker coverings off does it effect the sound quality coming out.

Thanks for that!! No I still need to update the pics in the thread. That is the old pioneer pdp 4280 that has been replaced by my new panny 65". It is a beast!! It now doesn't look that big, guests come to the house and comment on it all the time. My family are all used to it now I think... My wife thought we would have to sit out on the wall outside to watch it but it is a great size for the room.

The spkr grills are left on 99% of the time. They only come off when I am home alone, when no fingers can poke the drive units!

Still a few things to do on my settup. Including updating photos.

T

theflyingwasp

Yeah a lot of people complain about running speaker cables etc after spending all that money I don't think a few hours of your time cleaning up the cables will kill you.

Wish panasonic had gave Europe the 65 inch version of the ZT ,the ST gets very good reviews it may be in the 2013 awards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts