Best £300-£400 Integrated Amplifier?

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, having just recently moved i will have some funds available to get some new kit in the new year. As the titile suggests i am after a new Intergrated Amp. I don't want to go the second hand route this time and want to buy something new that comes with a warranty etc..

I have listed below the amps i have put on my short list and would like peoples opinions on any of them and if there is any amps i have missed off that i should check out. I listen mostly to Rock/Metal, Hip Hop and R&B and would like a amp that has is nice and strong and is good in the bass department but also smooth is possible. My speakers are 6ohms, 90db sensativity and are rated 25-250 watts. Thanks

Amp Short List:

Marantz PM6004

Yamaha AS500

NAD 326BEE

PIONEER A-A6 MKII

Onkyo TX-8050

Onkyo A-5VL

Rotel RA04 SE

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

The NAD does look the most appealing to me as i know they are ment to produce good bass and have a good control over speakers. Would it be worth adding a power amp to the NAD and would the matching NAD CD Player be any good as a source?

T

the record spot

From your list, Onkyo's TX-8050 is a network receiver, so not a pure integrated, however, if you need that level of flexibility and the means to put internet radio, or other digital sources through your amp, then it's right that it's on your list. The other Onkyo offers an onboard DAC, so that might be a good option too if you need it. From the others in your list, I've not heard any of them, so can't say, but they'll not offer any digital capability.

Chances are they'll all offer a good spread of inputs, will probably do a decent job, but if I had to pick one, it'd be the Marantz for pure two channel work and the TX-8050 for both its impressive power handling and the networking capability which is far more relevant for my needs these days.

A

Anonymous

For me it would be the NAD as well but very closely followed by the Marantz then the Yamaha AS500 and Rotel RA04SE - All very good amps

The Pioneer is a good amp as well but it needs to be well matched whereas the other above bar the Yamaha are easier to pair etc...

If you're worried re power why dont you go 2nd hand?

3 amps that spring to mind straight away are the NAD C355BEE, Arcam Alpha 10 and the Cyrus 8VS2

Both the NAD and Arcam are fantastic amps and will survive many upgrades; the Cyrus is superb as well but with it having the slight forward tendencies; it needs careful matching with speakers etc...

Hand on my heart thogh; if these amps are to be paired with your Wharfedale speakers then I'd go for the NAD C355BEE or Arcam Alpha 10; both have bags of power to boot and will drive and control your speakers a lot better than the above mentioned 'budget level' amps

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

At the moment it looks like a choice between the Marantz and Nad. I would rather buy brand new if i can so i can demo the amp etc, if i could get a good deal second hand on the Nad C355bee than i may go for it. The Nad seems to match my music taste but i know the marantz is ment to be good. My A65 is only 45watts per channel and seems to handle my speakers well so think 45-50 watts per channel would be enough power for me, i can't listen at high volumes anyway, don't wanna upset the new neighbours (just yet).

Gareth82 said:
Thanks for the replies.

At the moment it looks like a choice between the Marantz and Nad. I would rather buy brand new if i can so i can demo the amp etc, if i could get a good deal second hand on the Nad C355bee than i may go for it. The Nad seems to match my music taste but i know the marantz is ment to be good. My A65 is only 45watts per channel and seems to handle my speakers well so think 45-50 watts per channel would be enough power for me, i can't listen at high volumes anyway, don't wanna upset the new neighbours (just yet).

Wharfedale speakers pretty much go well with most amps.

The Nad seems favourite. I think the Nad will match the speakers well and is a good amp, but I personally look at others, such as the Rotel, Rega, Marantz or even adding a power amp to your existing Arcam. If you listen at low levels little beats Arcam in that respect and the power amp will give more control as and when you want to crank it up.

A

Anonymous

I would consider the Yamaha as it's a very detailed amp with bags of power.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
A listen to the Yamaha A-S700 may be worthwhile. It was marked down by WHFS&V for being too polite so may not be such a culture shock after the A65. Don't know if there are still deals around but DSG were knocking them out for less than £300 a few months back.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Crocodile said:
A listen to the Yamaha A-S700 may be worthwhile. It was marked down by WHFS&V for being too polite so may not be such a culture shock after the A65.

Good call. I have heard this amp with PMC FB1i speakers and it was a lovely sound.

Gave an impression of big, relaxed, smooth power like a large V8 luxury tourer. No screaming revs to get to some wafer thin power-band. Always delivers whatever is sufficient with the impression of bags more in reserve.

None of that 'fingernails dug into the sofa' anxiety as to whether it'll hold up 'in extremis'. Very sure-footed and smooth and has power without drama.

Maybe a little too nonchalant and effortless for some.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone.

The Nad does seem to be the front runner at the moment, the marantz i would of thought would be the nearest sound to my arcam. I did consider the Yamaha AS700 as i'm sure i've seen them online for around £300-350.

I would be looking for a whole new system as my Arcam setup looks like it is being moved to my bedroom with some new standmounts to go with it. I do like the look of the Rega Brio R but it is abit out of budget, i would like to get a amp which isn't fussy with which speakers and source you use it with as i am looking to get new speakers etc in the near future and want a amp which can just get on with things and withstand a few upgrades.

A

Anonymous

Gareth82 said:
Thanks for the replies.

Just because the amp is more powerful doesnt mean it needs to be cranked up

The difference between the NAD C326BEE and C355BEE (apart from an extra 30wpc IIRC) is that the C355BEE has much better control over speakers and is able to drive them better and with more control meaning you'll get a much better all round & punchier/detailed soundstage

The C326BEE is a good amp but the C355BEE, with its extra power, is more refined

As for the Yammy AS700; yes another good amp but for your taste in music the NAD is better suited IMO

Yammy amps have a good sound but at times they can be overly smooth and also a bit forward with the high end...

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Both Nad amps will be on my shortlist. Would the Marantz PM6004 work well with my style of music as well?

Just to throw it into the mix, would getting a Marnatz MCR603 be considerd a good opton?

My reason for asking about the MCR603 as i would be getting a amp and cd player and then a SB Touch so was thinking would i be best to stick to seperates and build my system over time or would it be best to get the mcr603?

A

Anonymous

Gareth82 said:
Both Nad amps will be on my shortlist. Would the Marantz PM6004 work well with my style of music as well?

Just to throw it into the mix, would getting a Marnatz MCR603 be considerd a good opton?

My reason for asking about the MCR603 as i would be getting a amp and cd player and then a SB Touch so was thinking would i be best to stick to seperates and build my system over time or would it be best to get the mcr603?

The Marantz is a good amp; it's improved on the 6003 but I'd personally still go for the NAD as it's just a bit more powerful sounding and has the ability to drive speakers a bit better IMO

The CR603 is a fantastic system and one I've thoroughly enjoyed and IMO very hard to beat but a seperates amp will always sound better with a good source as it's all seperated from each other... The CR603 will drive your speakers but IMO the likes of a NAD C355BEE would drive them hell of a lot better and easier as well!

In saying all this though; the addition of a decent Arcam power amp such as the Alpha 10P - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcam-Alpha-10-Power-Amp-/140643650169?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item20bf03ca79 would give you the ability to stya with your current system but to have the additional power that your speakers will lap up and spit back at you with avengence!

It's a superb power amp and at 105wpc; it'll command your speakers easily but give you a juch better soundstage with a solid bassline but still welltimed and detailed & a smooth/well paced mid and great highs!

T

the record spot

The only slight caveat that's worth pointing out with the NAD is some folk / users reckoned the 355 and 356 had a sliightly lumpy bass, which is fine if you've fast speakers as they'll balance out, but worth bearing in mind when you go for a listen. For the money, I'd imagine you could pick up a better example - the aforesaid Alpha 10 was very well rated for instance (£900 in its day I think) and there's plenty of decent examples for both it and the 10P power amps around.

Although, if you're thinking of digital as well, then the TX-8050 in your list is worth a look. Won't be as good as the Alpha 10, but it delivers 100wpc and Onkyp are making big things of their hifi credentials of late (see their website for the latest product line).

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I think i will have to pop along to my local dealers and arrange a demo. I have only got a Richer Sounds and iHome Direct near me and looking at my amp list they seem to stock all of them except for the NAD's so i may have to either buy a NAD blind and hope for the best and have a listen to the Marantz, Yamaha and Onkyo and see what i think.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts