Beresford DACs headphone out

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I've just taken delivery of a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 II headphones and I'm using them via the headphone socket of a Beresford Dac (also new, a Mk6 I believe).

I'm wondering what the general opinion here is of the headphone socket on the Beresford? Would it be worth investing in a Creek, Musical Fidelity or Pro-ject headphone amp?

I've just started listening and the bass is a bit heavy... What difference will a couple of weeks 'burning in' do for the headphones?

Cheers!

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
Just to add, after further listening today I can detect a slight background hiss (which is present without music playing) through the headphones - am I being ultra picky here...?

I'm playing music through the DAC either via my laptop (and external soundcard) or via a Cambridge 640v2 cd player.

Any guidance re getting the best sound from the DAC and headphones would be greatly appreciated!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I have to say, I dont get the hiss problem at all.
Although I am using it with optical digital from the laptop mainly.

I love the sound, and am using HD595 headphones.

Do you get hiss when attached to the laptop?
How long have you had the DAC (I am sure I read somewhere else about a hiss issue a while back)

As I say I get zero hiss from mine, and find the sound from laptop soundcard playing FLAC or MP3 to be very very good. (I have it playing right now)

*edit - the only issue I have had, is I find the variable out RCA a little noisy, but the fixed is tight.

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
It is only a slight background hiss (like I said, maybe I'm being very fussy) but I can definitely hear it with foobar sound turned off and even with the DAC turned power button clicked off. However if I unplug the DAC it disappears...

I could also hear it (again only slightly) when listening to a FLAC encoded soundtrack cd (Raiders of the Lost Ark - brilliant!). I thought at first it might be hiss from the original analogue recording of the soundtrack but after playing around with the DAC it appears not.

I read that there might be issues with mk3's having a slight background hiss but thought this had been fixed.

Could it be something to do with the nature of the HD25 headphones perhaps?

(By the way, don't get me wrong - I think this Beresford DAC is great and I'm very happy with it).

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
sensei_russ:It is only a slight background hiss (like I said, maybe I'm being very fussy) but I can definitely hear it with foobar sound turned off and even with the DAC turned power button clicked off. However if I unplug the DAC it disappears...

I could also hear it (again only slightly) when listening to a FLAC encoded soundtrack cd (Raiders of the Lost Ark - brilliant!). I thought at first it might be hiss from the original analogue recording of the soundtrack but after playing around with the DAC it appears not.

I read that there might be issues with mk3's having a slight background hiss but thought this had been fixed.

Could it be something to do with the nature of the HD25 headphones perhaps?

(By the way, don't get me wrong - I think this Beresford DAC is great and I'm very happy with it).

Sounds like you may need a new power supply?
Also, have you got leads plugged into the variable out whilst using headphones?... (clutching at straws, but I found these to be noisy, and maybe it's picking up interference from the amplifier)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
...to answer the original question though... You'll almost certainly get a boost in performance from a dedicated headphone amp...I have never tried one, as I am happy with this, but if you think what you're getting for the money, there is no way the headphone out can be up to that sort of performance.

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your help on this fr0g.

I unplugged everything from the dac except of course the optical in from the soundcard and the hiss is still there. I also listened directly from the soundcard and a DAB radio with the headphones and no hiss is present. Connected the dac via analogue outs to my amp and through the headphone out of the amp the hiss was present again.

Why would the power supply effect this?

Cheers

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
sensei_russ:Thanks for your help on this fr0g.

I unplugged everything from the dac except of course the optical in from the soundcard and the hiss is still there. I also listened directly from the soundcard and a DAB radio with the headphones and no hiss is present. Connected the dac via analogue outs to my amp and through the headphone out of the amp the hiss was present again.

Why would the power supply effect this?

Cheers

I am clutching at straws, but you said...However if I unplug the DAC it disappears...
...so the setup now is identical to mine, yet hisses, even switched off, but plugged in...

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
Yep. I've now unplugged everything from the dac and just have the headphones and power lead plugged in. Hiss is present. If I press the power button (ie turn it off) and take the power lead out whilst I have the headphones on I hear a funny sound (can't describe it but a 'power down' kinda noise I guess) and then the hiss is gone. I only mention to illustrate I'm not imagining the hiss. Obviously if there is no power to the unit there can't be any noise from it.

I will get in touch with Stanley Beresford and see what he says.

Thanks again for taking time to help fr0g.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
sensei_russ:Yep. I've now unplugged everything from the dac and just have the headphones and power lead plugged in. Hiss is present. If I press the power button (ie turn it off) and take the power lead out whilst I have the headphones on I hear a funny sound (can't describe it but a 'power down' kinda noise I guess) and then the hiss is gone. I only mention to illustrate I'm not imagining the hiss. Obviously if there is no power to the unit there can't be any noise from it.

I will get in touch with Stanley Beresford and see what he says.

Thanks again for taking time to help fr0g.

No worries.. Day off, nipper afternoon nap, bored. ™)

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
Emailed Stanley Beresford and apparently it's due to a combination of low impedance headphones and good hearing. He recommended a gadget from maplin to 'dial our the noise floor' of the headphones. Costs £4.99. Problem solved I hope.

Good to know my hearing is up to scratch too!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Excellent. Hope it works...

I did a bit of testing too, and I managed to get it to hiss... By selecting the wrong optical input ?! When the wrong one is selected, and the volume knob high, I get a slight fuzzy noise... But thats pretty irrelevant! ;)

Whats the gadget by the way, for future reference?

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
When swapping the optical cables around earlier I got a very unpleasant buzz too. I think in my case it was probably a message to stop fiddling about with the cables and dac and leave well alone!

The gadget is a 'Headphone Extension Cord with Volume Control' and Stanley says he uses it for testing and that it works well.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=33144&doy=18m6

Great service as usual from Stanley Beresford, he answered my email very quickly.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
sensei_russ:By the way fr0g, it's nice to see I'm not the only person who has left the protective plastic film on the lid of their laptop... :)

LOL!

It will be off soon.. Its a cheap new laptop because (crying as I say it) I smacked the screen of my lovely XPS laptop and a replacement, fitted was around £500!! So I bought a new one, and have the Dell as a desktop with an external screen upstairs...

by the way, I hope that thing works... It would worry me a little attached to nice headphones, but if Stan the man recommends it, I'll not argue... ;)

TRENDING THREADS