Beresford DAC

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

l have seen many threads that are very complimentory about the Beresford DAC.

A couple of questions:-

1. Generally, what are peoples opinion?

2. l use a heavily modified Arcam Alpha 5 CD, set up as non oversampling, has output transistors removed, fitted wima bypass caps, blackgate electrolytic caps on the audio board & copper shielding (earthed to ground) for the DAC & filter chips.

There is also a Thrichord clock fitted.

Are there any considerations with using the Berersford DAC with this?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Is your Arcam still fitted with the TDA1541 DAC? If so then, personally, I stick with it.

The Beresford wouldn't be as warm nor will have better bass but will have better details and wider soundstage....try it ! I am sure Stanley will give you a refund if you decide that you don't like Beresford.

Blainetoner

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
A general question about the Beresford. They seem very popular on here when used between a pc and amp.I was wondering, I have a good quality soujndcard in my pc, I use the M-audio Audiophile 24/96, which has rca in and out, so I have it on the tape loop of my amp. It also has coaxial digital in and out, would I gain an improvement using the beresford between the soundcard and the amp??

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
I bought a beresford a week ago and cant help with the arcam cd question as i have no experience of it but your m-audio audiophile will be a great match for the beresford dac. If you buy a beresford you will hear a quite dramatic increase in the detail and soundstage as was suggested above, i also find the bass tighter and the whole experience more refined.

So adding a beresford to your m-audio card will give you a dramatic improvement in my opinion. send the optical out from your soundcard to your beresford and see if you agree. I think you might be surprised

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Well frog certainly seems to know his stuff, so i would probably follow his judgment if it was opposite to mine, but as everyone says audio is a personal thing.

If the m-audio is hooked up to an amp by its analogue out then it is doing the processing and even tho it is capable at doing so i would think that the beresford would do a much better job. So i think hooking up the digital out from the m-audio to the beresford would be certainly worth a listen - but never having listened to the m-audio i couldnt say for sure.

Hope this is some help - as a side note, i now struggle to enjoy listening to mp3's below 256k because compared to high quality mp3's and especially flac's they sound quite dull!

Blainetoner

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
cheers Kingnothing83. I will look into getting one of these then. £100 doesnt sound too expensive a punt. I have been quite pleased with the M-audio card over the N-vidia that came with the shuttle......and combined ith Apple lossles files, i too cannot go near mp3 that are of a low bit rate.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Cheers guys. im working on a new setup and will suck it and see sometime. i didnt mean to imply fr0g disagreed, just that he didnt seem sure. fr0g - apologies for refering to you as if you're not here, and also if ive miss-represented your views at all.

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Yeah i'd definitely recommend giving it ago, be interesting to hear what you think.

And frog i'll give that a go, i use winamp as my main player (with kernel streaming these days) but use foobar ocasionally

A

Anonymous

Yes, it does have the 1541 DAC. l think, as you say Thaiman, l'll stick with it. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts