Benefit in upgrading from older equipment.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a trusty old Yamaha DSP E800 running along side a Cyrus series 8 Amp to give me 5.1 through a set of Ruark Vita speakers. The question is what benefit will I hear in upgrading to a more modern AV amp. Unless you can do a side by side comparison at home it is almost impossible to judge if the improvements made of the last few years make it worthwhile to replace my amp. Opinions from any one who has been on the upgrade path would be most welcome and particularly suggestions of which amp (if any) would be considered to be an improvement.

A

Anonymous

It really depends on what you are looking for. If you are big on movies and multi-channel surround sound, the new(er) A/V gear has improved quite significantly in the last two years or so.

What I have found is that surround sound effects steering and the full sound immersion have improved significantly in newer A/V gear. In terms of actual amplification, I don't believe that the amplification stages in newer A/V gear have improved much.

Dan.

Sliced Bread

When I upgraded from my Denon 3802 (2000-2 ish model) to an Onkyo 905 the difference was huge, both in terms of processing and amplification. However in your case you are using some cyrus gear for the amplification, so as the OP said I'm not sure how big an improvement you will receive from that point of view. Maybe worth a demo or two though as you might be surprised (I was, and I was quite sceptical of the benefits). However IMO the main benefit is being able to decode the latest HD sound formats. They provide quite a leap in performance.

EDIT: Just looked up your Yamaha processor. An upgrade will almost certainly bring you better processing and improved amplification on the centre and rear channels (assuming that you are sticking with your Cyrus for the left and right channels). What's your budget?

A

Anonymous

MessageBudget wise I
started thinking of £300 / £350 before I heard a set up based on an Onkyo 705
and KEF speakers and the sound quality was amazing. However it was in quite a
small room, half the size of mine, and the speakers were lower and closer
together than mine. This is where the doubt crept in, if I were to install the
same equipment in my room would I get the same sound improvement. From the feed
back provided so far the answer would appear to be yes but then to turn the
question back on you what sort of budget should I look to get the gains. Is
there a quantifiable improvement of sound available from say £400
to £800?

John Duncan

What you haven't said is anything about your source. Unless you have a BluRay player, you'll get no benefit from the newer HD sound formats anyway, and the existing setup you have is more than adequate. 'Stonking' springs to mind, in fact.

If you did get a BD machine, you could get one which encodes those formats internally, and could use its six channel output directly into your existing kit with no change.

A

Anonymous

Yes, should have
said, just upgraded to Bluray after years of playing DVD,s on my Arcam FMJ27. I
stuck my toe in the water with a Samsung BD P2500 Bluray and a UE40B7020 LCD screen.

A

Anonymous

Recently upgraded myself from an Arcam A22 with Digital Audio Video Entertainment (5.1) to a Marantz 6003. The AV performance of the Marantz is miles ahead of the old Arcam but the musicality of the Marantz is not as engaging as the Arcam. Despite excellent detail and seperation the Marantz just doesn't kiss and hug you like a high-end Hi-Fi amp who's main purpose is to produce a natural stereo output.

Don't think i'm saying stick with your current just be prepared for a different sounds. I wouldn't go back

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts