Question Benchmark music that "describes" your speaker's signature

AJM1981

As there are usually many test tracks thrown at speakers, there is this thing in review world and that is that single benchmark track worth a mention that highlights the ability of a speaker best.

It can be often be translated to the 'thing' that characterizes its signature most . It is like this specific track that kind of seems tailored for the model and has this 'shut up and take my money' effect if you would demonstrate it in a showroom.

For my B&W 602/s3's 3 ways it is Massive Attack's Angel as once mentioned here in a review on the frontpage. After testing while switching the track speakers it is to understand why. This electronic track is solid and heavily bass driven, which is exactly what these speakers are made for. A regular bookshelf doesn't make much of it, it is one of the tracks the B&W's get about totally right.

For my current Wharfedale Evo 4.2's it is Grace Mahya's Kiss of Life. A Jazz track, with a focus on the upright bass that displays how detailed it is and how well it does with piano and vocals. In comparison, my older B&W's do an ok job but it almost sounds like a different track on my Wharfedales as they dig deeper into resolution.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 116933

Nothing but thieves “not made by design”. Has speed and attack and loads of dynamics. The middle of the track gets very busy and very loud and very in your face. The voice should sound solid and clear and dead Center and above the instruments. It’s not brick walled but there is a lot going on. If you can’t pick it all out then the system is not greater setup well. The sound stage is holographic.

Really good speakers will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. I’ve only come across a few speakers and systems that can properly convey his track.

If speakers can get this right they will get the bass right.

Edit. Angle is not the stand out track on that album IMO think it’s track 6 but it’s been along time since I listen to that album. They used it in the film the jackal with Bruce Willis

Last edited by a moderator:

AJM1981

Nothing but thieves “not made by design”. Has speed and attack and loads of dynamics. The middle of the track gets very busy and very loud and very in your face. The voice should sound solid and clear and dead Center and above the instruments. It’s not brick walled but there is a lot going on. If you can’t pick it all out then the system is not greater setup well. The sound stage is holographic.

Really good speakers will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. I’ve only come across a few speakers and systems that can properly convey his track.

If speakers can get this right they will get the bass right.

I agree on your post.

Just wondering. For which speaker did they use this particular track as a benchmark in a review.?

Edit. Angle is not the stand out track on that album IMO

The point mentioned in the opening is slightly different. An editor of Whathifi used Angel as a highlighted benchmark for what the B&W speaker mentioned did best. Also it is not about the best track on the album as test tracks don't have to be.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS