admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi im looking to buy my first Stereo system and was just looking for some advice of a good quality amp and speaker setup. Ive got a budget of around £300-£400. Im looking at getting floorstanding speakers which have a lot of bass to play around with, Im fully aware it will all depend on what amplifier I get, as to the performance of the speaker.

Im aware that i willhave to buy of ebay as theres got to be pletny of bargains floating about. Also for my pricerange i doubt id get anything that good brand new. Any help would be lovely thank you

John Duncan

Hi srowley, and welcome to the forum. Do you have a source (eg CD player, laptop) already?

Do you absolutely have to have floorstanders? Standmounts can be better value and just as good, depending on your musical taste...

A

Anonymous

Okey doke, well i suppose floorstanders arent essential, I just thought they were better quality but if you guys have alternatives then im all ears. Just as a platform i wanted to start with the amp and speakers which i would use with my laptop, an old technics turntable and a dj setup which i will also use. In the future though im looking to get a half decent cd-player and new turntable.

I listen to alot of classic rock, hip hop and house as i dj aswell.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
If you are looking for bass to suit your musical taste, then Monitor Audio BX2 would work perfectly, partnered with a budget amplifier like NAD. I'm sure there are some kind of package deals going around somewhere.

John Duncan

Bearing in mind your DJ leanings, I can understand your yearning for floorstanders, but tbh I find cheaper ones flap a bit and you get more poorly-defined bass as opposed to (slightly) less, better quality bass, and standmounts are invariably cheaper. If it were me with your budget I'd be inclined to try to get a hold of an end of line Marantz PM6003 for 220-odd quid and add some Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s for another hundred. You'd then have some cash to spare for cables and stands, and the Marantz has a good built-in phono stage for your decks.

If you must have floorstanders, the Diamond 10.3 can be had for 200 at Richers, but you're starting to hit top whack of your budget, and you might need to consider s/h for the amp...

A

Anonymous

Ok, wouldnt it be better if i bought some older speakers and amp instead of buying brand new?? Just for example i saw a set of mission 753 go for £200 on ebay last night and from what ive heard they are very good even compared to some brand new speakers.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
There's a pair of Goodmans Magnums on eBay at the moment which have a good chance of selling well under you budget - unless this post hypes them up and you get a competing bidder. If not the Magnums then something similar should be just what you're after, for good bass and good general all-round sound for minimal cost. If you do get the Magnums, put them on rigid stands that will get the tweeters up to ear level.

For an amp you could go for one of many really good Japanese 1970's to 1990's amps. EG Sony ES series.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts