Beginner in the Hi-Fi World

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there, I'm looking for a bit of advice to help me start off my hi-fi setup!

This has all started from my desire to own a turntable after collecting a few LPs and looking into it properly, I can tell things are probably not as straightforward as they first seemed!

I have a budget realistically of £300-£400, but being a poor student it's definitely a limit and not a target, I'm looking for as many bargains on Richer Sounds and ebay as I can find (as I will be in Sheffield and London over the next few weeks = large area to source bargains!), and I'm looking to get a turntable, amplifier and speakers. I still have many years ahead of me to upgrade so it really doesn't have to be top of the range.

I do have some active PC speakers, Acoustic Energy Aego M, running out of an M-Audio Fast Track Pro interface but I want to move my music away from the computer and appreciate it a bit more.

I've got a rough idea in mind of what I'm after, but any advice will be appreciated, and I'd also like to know whether it's worth buying a phono pre-amp and then amplifier separately, or buying a more expensive amplifier with phono stage built in. I know when I played guitar, the idea is you want a master of one rather than a jack-of-all, but at the price range I'm looking at would it make that much difference?

My rough plan-

Project Debut III

Cambridge Audio Topaz AM1 Amplifier (maybe AM5 if I can get a deal) + Azur 651P

or the Marantz PM5004/Cam. Aud. AM10/Onkyo A9155/Pioneer A20

Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 Speakers (unless you know of any good budget floorstanding speakers)

None of this has been purchased yet, and it will be done in stages. My dad's willing to lend me his Sony turntable (not sure of the model) for the time being, so I'd probably be going for speakers/amplifier first then turntable last. What do you think?

Thanks

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Overdose said:
NAD C372 and Mission 751s

Hunt around until you get the best price.

I've seen 2 pairs of Mission 752s go for £31 and £102 on ebay in the last coupe of months - awesome speakers for that money, snap them up even at the top end of that range!

No end of great s/h amps to be had that would partner them nicely.

A

Anonymous

I've seen a Marantz Arch System, amplifier with speakers, for under £100, but I can't find too much info on them online?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts