Beethoven versus Jay-Z and the path to more music

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Listening to Jay-Z's Kingdom Come and then Roger Norrington conducting Beethoven's 9th last night, I was struck by that perennial, nagging thought ; how can I improve my system to make the most of these and other recordings? Though both discs are somewhat distinctive musically,they both sounded hemmed in and less than euphoric. What next? Any suggestions out there on what might be a good upgrade route? Current set-up: Arcam CD92 Chord 64 DAC B&W 1NTs Arcam A85/P90 NAD 533 turntable Chord Signature interconnect (DAC to Amp), Van Den Hul The Second (P90 to A85), various Merlins elsewhere, QED 350 speaker cable(bi-wired). Some discs sound great, others not so. Help!!

A

Anonymous

"Some discs sound great, others not so."

That's life I'm affraid, with all the compression and producers messing around with the sound too much. A bad recording is just that, there ain't anything you can do about it

The hemmed in sound could be due to the Arcam kit, I've only had one Arcam demo which was supposed to be top end kit (forget model numbers) through PMC OB1 speakers, the sound was way too laid back for me, in the end I decided on the CYRUS route, the PMC's are on my wish list.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that.

I've read elsewhere about the compatibility of Arcam and PMC speakers, so will investigate further when time and money allow.

Of course, regarding variable sound quality you're quite right. Last night I listened to some of the out-takes on the Pet Sounds box set and they sounded wonderful. It's just so frustrating to hear great music poorly rendered/mastered/recorded etc.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Charlie Jefferson"]

It's just so frustrating to hear great music poorly rendered/mastered/recorded etc.[/quote]

I agree, it's almost criminal. With the mainstream market lstening to more & more compressed music, what else can we expect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts