BDP-LX08 as a DVD and CD player

scene

I currently have a Arcam DV79 as my main DVD / CD player - matches very well with my AVR250. I like Arcam, I also have a DV88 and A85 pair doing work as my CD player in another room
emotion-1.gif

Now I know I have asked previously about whether to go for a Sony BDP-S760 or Pioneer BDP-51FD (see thread, thanks for all the helpful replies!) and I have (drumroll...) the Sony (MR) reserved at RS ready for me to collect... When I noticed they had Pioneer BDP-LX08s in stock for £350...

Now question is, should I go for the Sony, and keep on using the Arcam for DVD / CD duty or would the LX08 actually be a better buy? Is it a better DVD player than the Arcam? Is it a better CD player? Should I get the Sony and ebay the DV79 and get a dedicated CD player...
emotion-7.gif

Thoughts anyone?

topbloke55

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
I have the Pioneer BDP-LX08 and I would not recommend it as a CD player.

Having read a few reviews about your Arcam DV79 and having owned an Acram CD player I would say that you should keep that for your DVD and CD playback. Although the upscaled from the current bacth of Blu-ray layers is good, I still use my dedictaed DVD layer as it gives much bette quality and I would expect the same from your Arcam.

Hope that helps?

scene

Thanks topbloke, that helps a lot - I'll stick with my faithful old Arcam and get the Sony for Blu-ray duties (unless you think the LX08 is better than the Sony of course...
emotion-2.gif
)

topbloke55

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
I have not seen or heard the Sony, but given it was Product of the year and gets a good review I would go with that, plus being Profile 2.0 it will / should be fast to use than the Pioneer which is not 2.0.

I am very hapy with the video and audio out from the Pioneer, you will need to ensure you get good quality interconnects, but flee bay I found good for that, I am using Chord Anthem 2's.

scene

Thanks again topbloke,

I went for the Sony. Picked it up yesterday afternoon, picture is fantastic! Haven't plumbed it into the amp yet - slightly short of interconnects at the moment...
emotion-5.gif

I suspect the sound (over analogue) will be great, but that the LX08 might be better, what with the Wolfson DACs. I knowt's the same machine as the LX71 under the hood (official from Pioneer, apparently) and the audio jitter on the LX71 is about a quarter of that on the Sony (according to HCC). I'm not that bothered though, as I intend to keep the Arcam for music...

Thanks again.

topbloke55

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
I think that is a very wise choice. I have seen the sony pictures and they are great, and as you say CD music via your Arcam.

The extra resolution from the blu-rays in HD makes a massive difference, I think you'll be quite amazed when you get up up and running.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts