BD35 vs BDP550 vs BDP51FD...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Sorry if this has already been covered, but couldnt see it....

I am looking at investing in a dedicated BluRay player (Currently use a PS3). Using a 42" 720p/1080i Sony Wega Plasma via a Pioneer VSX AX4ASi-s (So no hdmi 1.3, deep colour or HD audio). At some stage TV & receiver will be updated, so I want to future proof this purchase.

I had shortlisted the Panasonic BD35 and Sony BDP550. The Sony was edging it based on 7.1 analogue output, but then this months What HiFi did a round up and voted the Pioneer BDP51FD as best buy under £500.

On Richer Sounds, you can now get the Pana BD35 for £190, the Sony BDP550 at £220 and the Pioneer BDP51FD for £320.

So, its £100 dearer than the Sony, is only Profile 1.1 and doesn't have BlueRay Live nor Ethernet connection for updates (And online content).. Is the 51FD worth the extra £100???

With my current setup I am not sure if I would see (or hear) the better quality, but when I upgrade the TV & Amp, it may be more apparent, but I am just not sure about buying somehting thats quite expensive when I know its using slightly older technology (Profile 1.1)..Although one could argue I can use the PS3 when I want to access extra features...hmmmmmm

Advice, comments, andone using this stuff ??????

thx

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
The three players are all very good. I tested them all and didin't find any real diffrence....

The Pioneer maybe has the edge, the Sony and Pioneer have 7.1 multiChannel outputs so that you can use the onbaord decoding HD sounds via your amp. If you have the money I would probably go for the pioneer though saying that the Sony is fantasic also with everything, BD/DVD sound etc.

I wouldn't replace your amp to be honest as its a dam good one.

A

Anonymous

Thanks GarthMan.. My current view is although the Pioneer's only £100 more, thats almost double the price, so I am not sure if thats good value..

I may just stick with the Sony and go with a 5year warrenty instead.. £22 for 5years cover, and they refund it if you dont use it.

Blu Ray Heaven awaits me !!!

p.s. Off-topic I know, but has anyone watched The Godfather (Coppola Restoration) Trilogy on Blu-ray yet????

A

Anonymous

Hope this helps i owned both the bd35 and the bdsp350 and took them both back and have now got the bdp51 my decision was made by having a hd dvd xe1 which has one of the best pictures available on dvd and hd.Well neither of the first two players came close to it, Loads of noise blocking and mosqito noise on dvd banding on colours out of the two i would choose the sony i think it operates flawlessly and quick but so does the pioneer and its way better picture wise

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
morganlloyd:
Thanks GarthMan.. My current view is although the Pioneer's only £100 more, thats almost double the price, so I am not sure if thats good value..

I may just stick with the Sony and go with a 5year warrenty instead.. £22 for 5years cover, and they refund it if you dont use it.

p.s. Off-topic I know, but has anyone watched The Godfather (Coppola Restoration) Trilogy on Blu-ray yet????

I have the S550 and think it's brilliant.

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
Sony 550 £269 at Richersounds MR

I did get 5 discs free when i bought this fantasic player, 3 from RS the 2 more from Sony when registering it. Though no sure if this has stop.

Buy the Sony and love it, and stick with amp buy some gold plated RCA cables and enjoy the realm of HD

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
also I haven't watched the Godfather trilogy on blu ray, though I might be tempted to buy it if its reasonable priced

Watch The Dark Knight and Hellboy 2 they are fantastic discs for HD

Though you will be suprised at how good your existing dvd's shall look on the player

A

Anonymous

Like you i got the multi R sony bdp s550, as yet i havent wired it up to the internet have you and how easy was it?

A

Anonymous

Don't bother with the Pioneer ( despite the good review it got from WHSV ). Its specs are already out of date with no ethernet port for online updates and its too flaky when playing certain BDs.

Both the Panny and Sony are far better options with the Panny being particularly good value. Comparing the Pioneer with the Panny showed only a small improvement in picture and no difference in sound performances.

Save your money and buy either the Panny or Sony or wait for Pioneer to produce an up to date and completely disk compatible player.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Takepart:Save your money and buy either the Panny or Sony or wait for Pioneer to produce an up to date and completely disk compatible player.

Has anyone reported any issues playing discs on the Pioneer BDP-51FD?

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
morganlloyd:

FYI - the BD35 has just gone up at John Lewis from £199 to £244 and Richer are only offering the multi region BD35 at £209.99 so maybe that influences you even more.

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
I wired up the Sony as soon as I got it, it was easy enough and the BD live extras are interesting extras. I'm lucky though as my router is very near my player. You can use bridges with players as well apparently. Go for the sony, save some extra cash and buy some rather expensive movies.....though HMV do see a lot cheaper online. I'm not going to replace myy DVD's though as the upscaler on teh player is excellent.

TRENDING THREADS