BBC to keep FM for foreseeable future.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-to-keep-fm-radio-foreseeable-future

I saw that the other day which is good. For music FM is top class but DAB not so good I'm afraid. Must resurrect my old 1970's Pioneer receiver which receives FM perfectly. They knew how to make tuners in those days.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
But I only listen really ro Radio's 2,3 and Classic FM so I am happy. Haven't treally explored DAB that much even though my current box will do DAB and internet radio (some of which is quite good although only limited experience)

daveh75

nick8858 said:
But I only listen really ro Radio's 2,3 and Classic FM so I am happy. Haven't treally explored DAB that much even though my current box will do DAB and internet radio (some of which is quite good although only limited experience)

DAB is a waste of bandwidth. You'll get far better SQ from t'Internet.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
daveh75 said:
nick8858 said:

Broadcast cast radio is quite good, or certainle was the last time I had a Sky reciever. Connected by toslink into the stereo, not at all bad.

Mind you, as a Spotify user I rarely listen to music on the radio. I find the selective "radio' function to be quite good, it is more targeted and often brings up new (to me) music in a genre I like.

daveh75

davedotco said:
daveh75 said:
nick8858 said:

Broadcast cast radio is quite good, or certainle was the last time I had a Sky reciever. Connected by toslink into the stereo, not at all bad.

Radio streams on DSAT and DTT for that matter are low bit MP2 (just like DAB), so you still find better quality online

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
fair enough i wasnt sure to be fair but seemed a bit better quality from tivo box, but mp2 tho goes to show nobody really cares about even a little bit of qaulity and the broadcast bandwith is full apparently, wheres my tin foil dutt *biggrin*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
When I last had a Sky box, a good few years ago now, the quality was very decent, certainly much better than could then be found online or from the emerging DAB technology.

That said, I do not listen to a great deal of broadcast radio, mainly speach (news, sports), a little bit of Radio 3 Proms and thats about it.

I’m delighted that the millions of perfectly good Hi-Fi tuners, car radios and domestic radio sets are not going to be only as good as scrap. Never did understand this obsession with selling off bits of bandwidth. Long live FM!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts