BBC Radio on an Internet Radio Reciever

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This may be a silly question, and this may not be the best section to post this, but here goes:

I am trying to decide between 1) PCbased source + DAC or 2) NAS drive + Streamer (Squeezbox/ Sonos etc.). I listen to a fair amount of BBC Radio - currently via PC/ iPlayer. I can't see for certain if the BBC channels are available as "internet stations" through these streaming devices. I can get a WMA stream on the PC, or use the iPlayer, but if I go for a streamer - are the BBC putting out an internet audio stream? I can't get it through the internet radio part of itunes for example.

So BBC on an internet radio? How do I get it?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Over here in sunny Saudi Arabia I access the BBC channels via Realplayer sent over an Apple Wireless Express to my AV amp. I believe BBC channels are also available through Windows Media Player. At home I use Napster with my Sonos system so a few choices and I'm sure someone will come along soon with more.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your comments guys. Following your post heystack I searched the squeezebox site a bit harder and found some stuff about the bbc as a downloadable app for the s/box. I guess that is how you do it. SInce the Sonos is basically out of my budget - it looks like Squeezebox it is.

Many thanks

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I listen to a lot of BBC radio on iPlayer (laptop + DAC) and the quality is excellent.

iPlayer radio is either AAC+ (96kbps) or AAC (128kbps) for R4 and R2 I believe. Whichever it is, BBC R4 and R2 sound fantastic on iPlayer. (Only a shade below FM in quality.)

My question is... do you still get AAC/AAC+ quality if using something like a Squeezebox instead of iPlayer from a laptop?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts