BBC HD Baffling as ever

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I watched "The Sinking of the Laconia" on BBC 2 last night. Part 2 is on tonight. I have now discovered it is on BBC HD next week. Why are they not capable of co-ordinating what they are showing.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
To be fair, they have got an urgent repeat of Alan Titchmarsh talking to Prince Charles about the garden at Highgrove to show at the same time!

But then BBC HD isn't meant to parallel one of the existing SD BBC channels, unlike BBC1 HD.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Last night we had "How drugs work" which was probably a repeat as well.
I watched it in SD as I presumed it was not to be on in HD.
I find the BBC organisation mindboggling.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I don't understand the issue here. BBC HD doesn't run parallel with the other BBC channels, it's a channel in itself. So they show things that were filmed in HD on their own schedule - quite often these are repeats of things that were shown on one of the SD channels or the BBC1 HD channel.

Does your Freeview HD box not inform you about HD versions of SD programs in the EPG? This is something the Digital Stream box I use does.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I aint got Freeview HD, I've got Freesat and Sky and my wife buys a TV mag weekly. I also do not want to spend hours trying to find out if something's on in HD. To put something on in SD this week and then in HD next week is poor in my opinion or are they just taking the mickey.
If you ran a pay per view station you would put a programme on in HD at premium rate and then repeat it in SD at standard rate not the other way around, you would need to be some sado to want to watch this again in HD a week later.
Perhaps it's time BBC HD became incorporated with BBC2, 3&4 and wherever possible showed programmes that are shown simultaneously on one of the other 3 channels as it puzzles me as to what their audience is. How many people are liable to watch this on HD next week 1000, 10000 as they seemed to make plenty of effort advertising it on BBC2, I do not watch lots of TV but even I managed to see plenty of adverts for it.
It would be interesting to know how many people watched the HD Prince Charles prog. 1, 10 1000
emotion-40.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Lost Angeles:Perhaps it's time BBC HD became incorporated with BBC2, 3&4 and wherever possible showed programmes that are shown simultaneously on one of the other 3 channels as it puzzles me as to what their audience is.

I'd personally be against that - BBC HD shows only true HD programmes and is the only channel on Freeview HD which does this - BBC1 HD, ITV HD and Channel 4 HD all simulcast most things in upscaled HD (i.e. standard def upscaled) and show only a few true HD shows. If BBC HD were to start simulcasting, it would also have to start showing upscaled SD programmes.

I much prefer knowing that, if something is on BBC HD, it will be true HD and I tend to mostly look at this channel for programmes because of it. I understand that you don't agree, I'm just presenting another viewpoint.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts