Bass timing issue?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone can help. You'll have to forgive any stupid questions posed by myself as although keen, I am a hifi novice (well actualy not a novice, but my relationship with hifi isn't always a commited one!)

Anyhow, back to the point. I've recently (about 100hours of listening time ago) bought a CA Dacmagic2 which I have connected to my laptop via the USB port, to my amp (NAD 3020i) via Chord crimson interconnects, and finally to my Mission 752 freedoms via QED silver anniversary speaker cable. I'm listening to 16bit FLACS.

Most of the music I listen to ranges from a bit of eva cassidy to radiohead with a bit of hard house dance thrown in for good measure. It is with dance music that my system has a problem.

The bass seems to lag behind the rest of the music, out of time if you will, almost as if it can't keep up with the pace! This simply cannot continue as it's making listening to such music intollerably dull and laboured!! Someone help, is it my amp (which I appreciate is perhaps a little long in the tooth), or perhpas the dacmagic? Frustratingly, I no longer have a cd player available to test whether its one of these two.

Any ideas?

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Although the Dacmagic 2 is on the 'bass-ier side', my suspicions fall towards your amp, which although a classic in it's time will be severley restricted in handling the dynamics. Although I have heard that the 750 series of Missions can sound a bit slow, but in all honesty, there are other people here that can comment on those better . I can only go by what I've read!

One of the problems with owning a DM2 (there are a number, I can assure you!), is that it has to be balanced correctly. Because of its power supply, it's a lot faster than most equipment can keep pace with. I also suspect (again not having heard it) that the Crimson is probably not the right cable for the job. The DM2 puts out 'the mother of all signals', and the only thing I've ever really found that contains it correctly were a pair of solid core cables. So if anyone can recommend a pair of those at a decent price they'll be welcome to contribute to this thread. In my opinion, even the multi strands I've had degenerated over time, especially noticeable through the higher ferquencies.

One of the first things I found after I got the DM2 was that my amp (a 40W Marantz at that time) was limiting it's performance. Quite simply it wasn't able to react to the signal quick enough. And I'm pretty sure its a combination of all the problems I've mentioned above (not withstanding the Missions, because I have a feeling that these are up to the job). Like I say, there are no sure fire ways to balance a DM2, you really have to experiment with both the amps and cables, it really isn't as simple as hooking it all together and getting perfection first time. But nothing worthwhile in hi-fi ever comes easy!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts