Bass issues. Use line and speaker inputs on sub?

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Current system is in my signature.

When watching movies my system lacks bass. Music from CD's is mainly OK.

I think the problem might be due to the CA 751BD bass management but not sure.

Assuming a subwoofer will fix the problem I'm planning on getting a Quad L-ite sub. I can get one ex-demo. It should match my front three speakers.

I will use it mainly for movies but might want to use it for music as well.

I think I need to use the sub out from my Denon for movies but that won't help for stereo when playing CD's. Is is possible to use the line inputs and speaker inputs at the same time?

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply simonlewis.

I thought I would need to do that for movies but what about music?

The Denon is not used for music, it goes from the 751BD to Quad amps to speakers.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Does your quad amps not have subwoofer out, if not then you can't use the sub for music unless it's run through the reciever, compromises must be made either music or movies, unless you have home theater system in one room and hifi in another room, maybe you should decide which is more important to you.

I have five speakers and a subwoofer but both my blu-ray player and CD player are connected to my reciever.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
My front speakers are powered by the Quad amps, the centre and rears by the Denon.

The 751BD has stereo outputs & 7.1 channel outputs.

I have the stereo output to the Quad 44 for music, 5.1 channel to the Denon (2 others are for rear speakers that I don't use).

I use the front pre-outs from the Denon to another input on the Quad 44 for movies.

The Quad L-ite sub had inputs for line level and speaker level.

The question is can you select which ones you use if both are connected at the same time or would the subwoofer be getting two signals at the same time and blow up?!

The Quad 44 has line level outputs but at a different signal level (1.6v) to the one I use to the Quad 303 (0.5v) so level matching would be awkward plus it would not help for movies. Using them would also stop me from using the sub out from the Denon for movies.

Having been listening to music this morning I think the stereo performance is good enough, its just movies that suffer.

If I get a subwoofer I will probably just use it for movies.

sheggs

May 30, 2012
Visit site
You sure it is not just where you are sat. You could be sat within a null?

Do you sit in the same place to listen to music and watch movies?

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I did some testing yesterday.

The 0.1 channel does not exist. I tried test tones and various settings such as telling the 751BD I have no sub then that I do have one, also on the Denon in the hopes that it would mix the 0.1 into the front 2 speakers, but it seems that using the multi channel outputs to the Denon loses the 0.1 channel. I can’t get it to downmix 5.1 to 5.0. The 751BD only allows a frequency filter down to 40Hz and cannot be disabled.

I do sit in the same position for movies and music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts