Bass & audiophiles

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gasolin

MajorFubar said:
gasolin said:
what?

My point was just that in the old days hifi was something diffrent compared to 2017/2018

Sorry I wasn't really intending to confuse. The point I was making is the Dali speakers and the old B&O S45's are poles apart in their design philosophy, and the fact that the Dali's won't ever sound like the B&O's isn't a weakness or a compromise, it's deliberate.

+1

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Feeling the bass is fine at a gig, especially a reggae one! :) but at home I'd rather hear it. Also a lot of people (generally not audiophiles) talk about how great the bass is in their systems or cars, but the bass is not tuneful, just an almighty boom boom, which might be fun for a while but I think the novelty would wear off (It certainly did for me :) )

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I find music uninvolving to listen to if there isn't some physical impact.

Physical impact can be had at modest volumes, with the right system.

I don't like it when the bass guitar and bass drums merge into an amorphous bass noise. Maybe this is what "layered bass" is? When each instrument is separated out and can be easily followed at will?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Gaz37 said:
The other threads regarding bass got me thinking about many audiophiles' attitude towards bass.

You often read about the unenlightened being too bass obsessed & how "realism" & "accuracy" is more important
The "experts" also rhapsodise about how true hifi should sound as though the artist was performing in your listening room.

Now the last live performance I saw was Brit Floyd, whose sound system was first rate
Guess what though?
You could feel the bass in your chest & through the floor, it literally (almost) took your breath away.

So could it be concluded that in order to believe you have a live performance from your home system you do indeed need huge amounts of bass?
Yes.
If there is bass to a certain level at the gig, a good hifi should reproduce this in some way, and correct proportion.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
radiorog said:
Gaz37 said:
The other threads regarding bass got me thinking about many audiophiles' attitude towards bass.

You often read about the unenlightened being too bass obsessed & how "realism" & "accuracy" is more important The "experts" also rhapsodise about how true hifi should sound as though the artist was performing in your listening room.

Now the last live performance I saw was Brit Floyd, whose sound system was first rate Guess what though? You could feel the bass in your chest & through the floor, it literally (almost) took your breath away.

So could it be concluded that in order to believe you have a live performance from your home system you do indeed need huge amounts of bass?
Yes. If there is bass to a certain level at the gig, a good hifi should reproduce this in some way, and correct proportion.

Only if that is on the album. Most concerts are totally remixed and some are dubbed for corrections. And the medium, vinyl can't handle that much bass. Don't believe it will be exactly the same. Depends where you are in the audience, if you are 10 feet from the stage it will be different from 100m away. So you are saying everyone should have a large sub?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
radiorog said:
Gaz37 said:

You often read about the unenlightened being too bass obsessed & how "realism" & "accuracy" is more important The "experts" also rhapsodise about how true hifi should sound as though the artist was performing in your listening room.

Now the last live performance I saw was Brit Floyd, whose sound system was first rate Guess what though? You could feel the bass in your chest & through the floor, it literally (almost) took your breath away.

Yes. If there is bass to a certain level at the gig, a good hifi should reproduce this in some way, and correct proportion.

Only if that is on the album. Most concerts are totally remixed and some are dubbed for corrections. And the medium, vinyl can't handle that much bass. Don't believe it will be exactly the same. Depends where you are in the audience, if you are 10 feet from the stage it will be different from 100m away. So you are saying everyone should have a large sub?
Hey bigh, no not at all. I think the main thing is things need to be in the correct proportion. The same ratio of various high frequencies and low frequencies, like you say, are on the recording. I reckon, and I'm no expert, but I think the better a system does this, the better it is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts