Balanced leads for high end headphones

Issitwurfit

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
In order to play my WAV files ripped from my CDs, I intend to use a Hi Res portable player, likely to be the Pioneer Xdp 300 ( re-badged Onkyo DP-X1?).
They have an input for when balanced cables are used -2.5mm in diam.The headphones are likely to be either Oppo PM 1 or Sennheiser 800s.As I understand it, each of these cans is capable of using balanced cables.Now, this is where it gets difficult to find out exactly how to go about getting this balanced cable connection set up.Oppo do a cable which goes from from their headphone and terminating in an XLR connector( costing a bomb ), but1. Is it right that I then need a further cable- a XLR,female, to 2.5mm jack? I,m pretty sure I do need that, so why don,t they supply that, I wonder?2. Just where do I buy such a cable in the Uk?. And what is the terminology used to identify the exact cable? As I say above, just how can a headphone company selling such high end products not address the matter of the necessary cables to use the balanced output facility, especially when it seems their use transforms the sound quality? If anyone can answer my queries I,d be obliged, because Google searches has not been very successful.Especially if anyone is already using high end phones with balanced leads. Thanks for reading- [ ]

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
of headphones for starters! OK, the Oppo's are supplied with a 3.5mm male to 2x 2.5mm males at the business end. All you need is a 2.5mm male to 2X 2.5mm males, I'm sure I've seen Astell and Kern or similar cables. Not sure on the Sennheisers connections but I remember they sounded very good. In either case Highend Headphones in Bedfordshire should be able to help you out.

Issitwurfit

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
paulkebab said:
of headphones for starters. All you need is a 2.5mm male to 2X 2.5mm males,

thanks for the reply. I see you have the Oppos.however, does what you say above ensure a balanced output? Seems too easy a solution. I thought the XLR connections had to come into it-lol.

I Say this because Oppo do a "balanced "lead which ends in an XLR connector.If I got that, I then need an XLR to 2.5mm balanced lead to connect to the player.

I note that your recommendation cuts out the seemingly unnecessary XLR plugs,but does it ensure a "balanced" lead?

Having said that, am I right in thinking you got your Oppos from Bedfordshire Company, and if so, was that their advice re balanced leads?

Thanks again for your reply. It's nice to hear from someone who actually uses the product I'm contemplating.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
to explain where I think you're going wrong here. You think you need a cable from the Oppo's to an XLR then from that XLR to a balanced 2.5mm. If I'm right, you've added a 'middle-man' which needn't be there! All you need is a 2.5mm balanced male to a pair of 2.5mm male mono jacks. The balanced male to plug into your player has four poles on it, these connect to two poles on each earphone, thereby giving you a balanced (I prefer to call it 'independant' TBH) output rather than the regular common ground for both earphones. I've not seen the Oppo lead, but it sounds like a lead to use from the cans to an XLR output from a DAC or amp? This would be unnecessary as you have a 2.5mm on the media player. I went to aforementioned company as they had all my shortlist available on demo, and a few more besides! Very pleasant and exciting day, and even accounting for a nigh-on 500 mile round trip, I still saved nearly £500. Bargain lol.

PS i've never listened to balanced leads in any way shape or form so I can't comment on that, all I do know is that the Oppo PM1's will not disappoint!

Issitwurfit

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
Thank you, Paul. You have explained that very clearly, and I am grateful.I must admit the Oppo balanced leads ( sold separately- surprise!) threw me, in that I didn't think that you could have balanced leads unless it was using a XLR plug. I agree that I would have two superfluous XLR leads doing it my way.

I note that if I go for the Sennheiser 800s that they do include a balanced cable ending in XLR plug, so I would need the XLR to 2,5mm extension.? I would have thought that Onkyo would have some information on sourcing such cables. Maybe Pioneer will when their model hits the marketplace

Now, where does one get this lead you describe?. I presume that you didn't address the question as you were content with the provided 3.5mm ordinary cable.

I have heard that the difference when using balanced cables is like "night and day", or is that just hype, do you think?

Did you perchance listen to the Oppos at Bedford using balanced cables and unbalanced.? If so, was there much difference?

If anyone else reading this thread has compared balanced to unbalanced cables on top end cans, please comment.( also on where the described cables can be sourced,please) It is a subject not much debated within forums. It seems only to be commented on by professional reviewers.

Thanks again , Paul for enlightening me.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Like with most cables, there are all kinds of opinions out there including

Night and day differences

It's slightly louder, so that's why it's perceived as better

The biggest difference comes from a cable upgrade of the ordinary unbalanced cable, so there isn't much to be gained by balanced

There's no difference going balance

I've been contemplating it myself, but I can never bring myself to pay almost as much for a balanced cable as I did for my HD650s, or even half the price of the cans just for a cable. Then I've got the choice of going for a single XLR or two XLRs at the amp end...

I did change the unbalanced cable to a silver aftermarket one (mainly because the standard cable was way too long for listening at my desk like I do), and it may have made a slight difference. Not night and day (or even day and night).

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
come with a 3.5mm cable for smaller devices and a full-fat 6.3mm lead which I usually use. I think the balanced lead for the Senns is supplied, bit naughty really whereas Oppo give you the choice; as you have probably seen they don't come cheap. I would give a call to a few headphone suppliers as someone must do a converter or an off-the-shelf cable. I'm not tempted either really, I'm not sure I'd hear any difference (if there is any?).

Issitwurfit

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
I haven't done anything positive yet except try to find balanced cables.On E bay I saw a 2.5mm to XLR female for 32 dollars.

But I'm nowhere near getting any. First I have to get the Hi Res player, then after a while I'll see if high end phones are better than my present ones. ( which they will be.lol ). I believe that to audition these hi end phones with balanced cables to my Hi Res player will be virtually impossible unless Pioneer/Onkyo bring out such cables.

I must say I think it somewhat remiss of Onkyo/Pioneer to market a player with balanced lead output without such leads being marketed or indicated by them.?Or have I missed where they may be found?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts