Balance question

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I know, pls forgive me this question but I need to ask. Hi all. My system ( or better to say the layout of my speakers ) has the best sound when I change the balance 50% to the left speaker. Now the question, is this change purely acoustical ( I mean moving stereo widestage to the left or do I give more simply more amp power to the left speaker taken from the right channel ? ( what in sequence feeds better one of the speakers ).

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The crux of your question is does a balance control operate by delivering more power to the louder channel. The answer is no it doesn't, the opposite happens. Turn the balance anticlockwise and the power to the right speaker progressively reduces, and vica versa.

insider9

It could be a number of things. Ideally balance should be untouched. This will only happen if:
- listening distance to each speaker is the same
- toe-in and tilt is the same
- speaker boundary reinforcement and reflections are the same (very similar)
- amplifier and source output same signal on each channel

Where it often goes wrong.

Some amps have a channel imbalance. The worse I measured was 3dB between left and right. This will show up as shift of the image. If. That's the case both sides will work equally hard when corrected with balance knob.

If you're setup isn't symmetric in the room you might be getting either wall reinforcement or larger reflections. Or simply sit further away from one speaker. If that's the case one side will sound louder. This will shift the image. The minute you use balance one side of the amp will be playing louder than the other. However they should appear as same volume at listening position.

Use mono recordings to test for this. If you haven't got a measurement mic.

Gray

With headphones plugged into the amp and the balance control set to the centre, how is the sound? OK? With all sources?

Next swap L and R channel speaker and cables to confirm that your fault symptom doesn't change (you still need to boost L not R channel)

Now experiment with speaker positioning until it sounds normal (with the balance control still centered)

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks all. I believe there is a slight imbalance on my amp. Actually it's pretty hard to say whether it is down do acoustical boost on one of the speakers or simply an internal amp imbalance. My speakers are mega sensitive as to the room boundaries. I came back to 0 position now ( no shifting ) but had to change speakers positioning. I did the test when I turn the max to the left and right - seems that the right channel sounds less dull. Can be acoustics thing though.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
The crux of your question is does a balance control operate by delivering more power to the louder channel. The answer is no it doesn't, the opposite happens. Turn the balance anticlockwise and the power to the right speaker progressively reduces, and vica versa.

Exactly , thanks.

insider9

stereoman said:
Thanks all. I believe there is a slight imbalance on my amp. Actually it's pretty hard to say whether it is down do acoustical boost on one of the speakers or simply an internal amp imbalance. My speakers are mega sensitive as to the room boundaries. I came back to 0 position now ( no shifting ) but had to change speakers positioning. I did the test when I turn the max to the left and right - seems that the right channel sounds less dull. Can be acoustics thing though.

Play a mono recording with balance not engaged. You say this shifts image to one side. Try and remember exactly where the sound is coming from. Switch off the amp wait a bit and then connect right speaker to left terminal and left speaker to right terminal. If image shifts to the other side. This means there is a channel imbalance on your amp. If not then it points to source (unlikely) and the room (very likely).

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Well explained by the Major.

When adjusting gain balance the louder channel will use more power than the other, but it's not being turned up. It's the other channel being turned down. This is not a problem for the amp and more PSU power in reserve will be readilly available for the louder channel. You can notice in amplifier power tests that measurements show power rating to be higher with single channel tested rather than both at the same time.

If you have channel ballance issues with the Cyrus amp, test the bannana terminals if they are intermittent. They may need cleaning, resoldering, reseating etc. Typically cleaning them with contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol solves a lot.

Try some cable swapping. Sometimes interconnects can be iffy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts