Backup Software

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I have recently installed a NAS drive and would like advice on backup software. What is considered the best ? Ideally it should be cheap (free :grin: ),easy to use and reliable.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
basshound said:
I have recently installed a NAS drive and would like advice on backup software. What is considered the best ? Ideally it should be cheap (free :grin: ),easy to use and reliable.

Backing up from a computer to the NAS? Or from the NAS to another device?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
basshound said:
Sorry ,should`ve been clearer, want to back up the NAS to an external HD. My NAS is a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo v2.

/sites/whathifi.com/files/images/2013/February/netgearbackup.jpg

Should be possible to configure the ReadyNAS to do a daily backup to a USB device using its built-in software. See the software manual from about p83 onwards for details of how to set this up using the ReadyNAS dashboard.

/sites/whathifi.com/files/images/2013/February/netgearfastusb.jpg

But make sure you enable 'Fast USB writes' in the 'Performance' tab of the dashboard, or the backup will take forever. (Only thing then to be sure of is not to disconnect the USB until it's done once Fast USB writes is activated, or the data on the drive can be corrupted)

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I`ve got the backup running now. I didn`t find any option for fast usb writes , I`m using Vista and Dashboard is version 100264. The Nas does have a usb 3 port on the back so maybe if I invest in a usb 3 external HD that would speed things up ! I have about 450 GB of music to back up so I`ll see how long it takes.

I`m assuming future backups would start from scratch again and not just save any new files?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
basshound said:
I didn`t find any option for fast usb writes

Might be worth checking whether the firmware for the NAS needs an update: even newly-bought products may have been on the retailer's shelves for a while, so may be in need of an update.

basshound said:
I`m assuming future backups would start from scratch again and not just save any new files?

Unless you have set the software to do a full back-up every time, future back-ups should be incremental, only reflecting changes since the last back-up.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Firmware is up to date so maybe fast usb is enabled by default ? Backup seems to be about halfway through but there is no progress bar just says "in progress " so I`m guesstimating.

Had a poke around and now realise it only does a full back up the first time unless you set it differently so future back ups should be much quicker if it only saves new or changed files ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts