Backing Up Films

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Whats better to back your films up with WMV , MP4 , H264 ?

What video quality do you use kbps ? as i do need to it stream over wireless N network

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Here we go again: no, provided you don't copy your CDs and then flog them. However, things are somewhat different with movies, not least because the movie companies have much more expensive lawyers...

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Just looked at a random CD I have to hand. "Unauthorised copying, blah, blah, blah prohibited."

If the law has changed on the copying of CDs (I don't think it has), it's only because everyone ignores it rather than progressive legislation.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Ok i'm not going to do it but lets if i was going to?

Anyway why would a film maker be interested in a person who's backed up there movies more than someone who has illegally downloaded . Everything i have i have paid for including movie downloads

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
PJPro:Just looked at a random CD I have to hand. "Unauthorised copying, blah, blah, blah prohibited."

If the law has changed on the copying of CDs (I don't think it has), it's only because everyone ignores it rather than progressive legislation.

Yes, as a result of battles over home taping, it's tacitly accepted that people may make a copy of their CDs to play in the car or wherever. However, the same doesn't apply to movies...

landzw:Anyway why would a film maker be interested in a
person who's backed up there movies more than someone who
has illegally downloaded

Mainly because when you buy a movie on disc you own the content even less than you do when you buy a CD.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
PJPro:Just looked at a random CD I have to hand. "Unauthorised copying, blah, blah, blah prohibited."

Yes, as a result of battles over home taping, it's tacitly accepted that people may make a copy of their CDs to play in the car or wherever. However, the same doesn't apply to movies...

Hmm. Technology moves on. People want to store their films on a media server or on a portable media device. The laws around films will follow music (eventually).

Personally, the ripped DVD doesn't offer too many attractions for me. I put a film on and watch it until the end. I use my music in an entirely different way. And I tend to have more music.

That said, my film collection is growing (mainly childrens films I have to say) and storage/selection of the BRs/DVDs is starting to become a bit of a bind. My Hummy has lots of films on it (recorded from the TV) and it is much easier to select films, etc.

I guess I annoyed that limitations are being placed on me which limit my future options.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
slewis:A bit of de ja vu here.
Apologies if we are going over old ground. I've not been about much just lately. We've got the builders in.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I heard an interview on Radio 2 a couple of years ago with a spokesman (I think from the BPI) who insisted that the copying of CDs in any way even for exclusive personal use is illegal.
So use of any type of CD ripping software is illegal.
He said that the industry chooses not to enforce the law and allows for personal copying (truth is where would they start)
They were pushing for some kind of levy to account for copying.
Purchasing a CD did not entitle you to more than that one copy.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
i copy them in direct stream then convert a copy to mp4 this seems to half the size of the file but the picture snd sound still seem ok even when streamed but i only really do this with the kids films and fools and horses ,seinfeld type things so im not really looking to close to the picture.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Its my little boy that has started me of ripping his films , it costs a fortune through itunes to replace all my little lads films into itunes and since i have replaced a couple of his dvd though his neglect i though the best way forward was to own the films on dvd and then rip them to an mp4 file .

That way we have instant access to his films without the chance of damaging the dvd

scene

landzw:
Its my little boy that has started me of ripping his films , it costs a fortune through itunes to replace all my little lads films into itunes and since i have replaced a couple of his dvd though his neglect i though the best way forward was to own the films on dvd and then rip them to an mp4 file .

That way we have instant access to his films without the chance of damaging the dvd

I know exactly where you are coming from. Theoretically, in a Windows environment, one of the best approaches is to rip the DVD as an ISO image, as this preserves the disc structure, menus, etc. This would be at the expense of disk space, but you could get 150-200 DVDS on a 1TB drive. However, doing this would require the use of software to get round the DCSS security - for example AnyDVD from Slysoft.com. You would also need software to mount the ISO as though the original DVD was in the drive, say VirtualCloneDrive. To do the ripping itself you'd probably want something that integrated with Windows Media Centre as well, such as MyMovies - which has the advantage that if you have a Windows Home Server allows for automatic ripping. Unfortunately, as the law stands ripping protected DVDs for any purpose is illegal in most countries, although you could use a similar approach on approved digital copies, of the sort that you can get with some BDs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts