background noise - normal or not?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
acalex said:
So I guess it's not normal having this background noise at constant level.....arghhh, need a car now to take it back...I will go to the shop first and ask the seller about that, not sure about the outcome since it's not a shop but a big chain...not sure how much these people will be knowledgeable...

Some just-detectable noise from the tweeter (the upper speaker that carries the high frequencies, or the 'hiss' in this case) is possibly normal. With your ear pressed against the speaker it may well not be absolutely silent, though at normal volume level (not turned up to maximum) it should be barely audible. I'd rather you plugged something in for your test, as empty phono sockets will pick up noise. And your mains quality may cause a slight noise too. Can you plug in the DAC, leaving the DAC switched off, and try again? Select the same input that the DAC is plugged into.

I've slightly lost the plot in all the exchanges, but is this hiss audible from your normal listening position? If not, then it might be normal background noise for your amplifier.

Maybe try one in the shop, though there is usually too much ambient noise to detect such things (unless they have a sealed listening room). I've just a hunch this is nothing to worry about, as unwanted noise is rarely steady, the same on both channels, and low level. Much more common to be burbling noises (like frying something!) and/or in one channel only, or so loud it is obviously wrong.

Ok, just to recap, noise is from the tweeter only, nothing comes out from the rest, it is from both speakers and do not change with volume level. I absolutely cannot here from my listening position, I only can hear from around 15 cm or closer if my ear faces he tweateer on a straight line...if I am not on a straight line I can't hear it anymore, not even from 15 cm.

I tried with DAC switched off...always the same...

If you stick your ear on the tweeter when there is no music...can you hear anything on your system?

acalex said:
If you stick your ear on the tweeter when there is no music...can you hear anything on your system?

...Only with it turned up beyond normal listening levels. (I tried it before writing earlier, to make sure memory wasn't playing tricks with me!). Mine is a very quiet amp, though.

Your latest description sounds like an entirely normal situation to me. It is intrinsic background noise, not related to level, nor from your source.

I also checked that your Vincent is a solid-state design, not a valve/tube amp, and does not have a MM phono cartridge input, as these are always noisier (because they amplify more, and boost the low frequencies). So, slight hiss, only with ear at speaker is not a problem. Certainly no need to rush back to the dealer, I'm sure. Do I recall you bought it only recently? If so, wait until you can try at another dealer, or even call the manufacturer, if you are still concerned.

Better still, put on some music, and relax! 8)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
acalex said:

...Only with it turned up beyond normal listening levels. (I tried it before writing earlier, to make sure memory wasn't playing tricks with me!). Mine is a very quiet amp, though.

Your latest description sounds like an entirely normal situation to me. It is intrinsic background noise, not related to level, nor from your source.

I also checked that your Vincent is a solid-state design, not a valve/tube amp, and does not have a MM phono cartridge input, as these are always noisier (because they amplify more, and boost the low frequencies). So, slight hiss, only with ear at speaker is not a problem. Certainly no need to rush back to the dealer, I'm sure. Do I recall you bought it only recently? If so, wait until you can try at another dealer, or even call the manufacturer, if you are still concerned.

Better still, put on some music, and relax! 8)

Ahahah, it's my first system and yes I bought it recently, that's why I am stressed!!! I am absolutely not an expert and didn't want to end up buying the wrong stuff :) ! I will try to go back to the dealer and ask...I am not worried...I have sent an email to the producer...couldn't find their telephone number...I might have to check on the instructions manual.

I might also go to another specialized shop I found here in Brussels...hopefully I will find someone knowledgeable there!

Your amp looks amazing btw...maybe one day I will get there as well!!! 8)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh, that's ok then. There's nothing to worry about there. If it's only just audiable from 15cm away then that's perfectly normal. It's just a bit of background hiss coming from the amplifier which is quite common.

Sorry for getting you worried there. :) I'd got the wrong end of the stick - after reading the first post in this thread I was under the impression that the hissing was loud enough to hear even when the music was playing.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Ahhh, that's ok then. There's nothing to worry about there. If it's only just audiable from 15cm away then that's perfectly normal. It's just a bit of background hiss coming from the amplifier which is quite common.

Sorry for getting you worried there. :) I'd got the wrong end of the stick - after reading the first post in this thread I was under the impression that the hissing was loud enough to hear even when the music was playing.

Ahaha, yes Steve you got me a bit worried!!! :D

I am glad it's like this...I will stop being stressed since in the end I realised today I bought not too bad stuff for being the first time ever :cheers:

acalex said:
Your amp looks amazing btw...maybe one day I will get there as well!!! 8)

Thanks. I had always dreamed of owning a Krell, because they always sounded 'huge', but they all cost as much as a car. Then, in the late 1990s, they brought out a 'cheap' line for home theater in the USA. Hence the AV in the name. It turned out to be great for regular stereo, as a budget Krell was a bit like everyone else's top model! Until then, integrated amplifiers were mostly quite modest; if you were serious you needed separates (a pre-amp in one box and power amp, or amps plural, in another). So, when most of my previous system was stolen in 1997, I bought the Krell amp, and its matching CD player.

These days, high performance integrated amps are much more common. For example, Musical Fidelity make their M6 500i which is 500 watts per channel and about £4000. I'd quite like one of them. :shhh:

The Vincent range looks very fine, so I'm sure yours will perform very well. They are only available from 7 dealers in Britain, so I haven't seen one up close yet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts