Back to Vinyl after 20 years

lbafsaj

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
I dug out my 23 year old Rotel RP855 turntable at the weekend. Fitted a new drive belt, new Rega Elys 2 Cartidge and hooked up to my Cyrus system via a Rega Phono MM Phono stage. The sound blew me away. Listening to stremed versions of the same tracks ( both at Apple lossless and Hi Res), the sound is so much fuller and the bass is amazing, not just deep, but real !

Now i'm looking to upgrade to Rotel RP855 and was thinking Rega RP3 ?

Does anyone have an opinion, will I see a sound upgrade from my old Rotel ????

TonyG44

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I have recently done the same. Always thought CD sound was too tissy, and a messed up sound, but got used to it over the years.

I have an old Pioneer, must be late 70's using an AMC 50e cartridge. The sound is amazing, I too compared Spotify, Tidal, and both with and without an Audioquest Dragonfly. Vinyl smashes it, full natural rounded sound, fills the room feels right. Everything else is so analytical, find myself listening to the hifi instead of the artist. It's saved me apotential fortune in trying to upgrade my system, happily buying lots of new vinyl, Vessels 'Dilate', Caribou 'Our Love', Neil Finn 'Dizzy Heights' are all fantastic pressings

Pioneer. NAD 3120. Monitor Audio R352.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
lbafsaj said:
The sound blew me away.

Given this, I'd say stick with what is currently blowing you away, and spend money on more records! Of course you can improve upon it by spending more money, but the important thing is to be blown away by the music you're listening to any enjoying. Next time you're in the vicinity of a hi-fi shop, ask for a demo of an RP3, and if you then think it's worth spending £500+ to improve your hi-fi, do it!

I bought an RP3 (with a Rega Brio-R amp and Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers) a couple of years ago, after a demo that revealed to me some of what I've been missing all these years from my cheaper hi-fi, so it was worth me investing in at the time. But, importantly, I had been quite bored for some time listening to music. This upgrade gave it new life for me, and blew me away. If you're already being blown away, you probably don't need to spend serious money just yet.

Have fun enjoying your current set-up and get out there and buy some new records to enjoy, that's my advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts