B&W Zeppelin vs Denon M37DAB with Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase my first sound system for my bedroom. I wanted as good a quality sound as possible for under £400. I arrived at the Zeppelin because of its looks and the brand, as they make quality kit. I liked the Denon as it has a radio and has had good reviews and the speakers due to the review whathifi gave them.

I was wondering which would offer the better sound, I listen to music mainly at 256kbps and some at lossless, I have a mixture of Pop, rock, Hip-Hop and Dance and classical. The room in question is roughly 5mx5m and I would like to be able to fill it with sound.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i would also say have a look at the fatman carbon and a pair of speakers (i run ma br1s with mine and it goes plenty loud) - it sounds better than the zeppelin lacks a little midrange in my opinion - try and always use lossless if you can far better than 256k - i own both - although maybe down to the speakers being placed further apart but the tubes also add warmth to the coldness of ipods

never heard the recent denon - what ipod are you using and do you have a wireless home network?

A

Anonymous

I have looked at the fatman, I would only be able to afford the itube, with separate dock, not the black carbon system.Did you mean the zeppelin lacks midrange? I have an 80gb ipod classic, does that make a difference then?Are there any other solutions for a sub £400 system with comparable sound quality?

Thanks

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
if you shop around for the black carbon try make sure its a mkII and speakers would prob come in under the price of the zeppelin £400

yeah i think the zeppelin lacks a little midrange but can thump out a beat - bit bass heavy in my opinion

if you had a ipod touch and a wireless network you could access radio through that so was just thinking

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:

yeah i think the zeppelin lacks a little midrange but can thump out a beat - bit bass heavy in my opinion

Hi,

Of course, Zeppelin also has a rather under-used tone control option which lets you reduce the bass levels - I believe it is set at 0 as standard, and can be dropped down to minus 3. It's a new menu option called 'speakers' that appears on your iPod's menu system.

Just thought I'd add that.

Cheers

Shaun

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Shaun Marin:matengawhat:

Hi,

Of course, Zeppelin also has a rather under-used tone control option which lets you reduce the bass levels - I believe it is set at 0 as standard, and can be dropped down to minus 3. It's a new menu option called 'speakers' that appears on your iPod's menu system.

Just thought I'd add that.

Cheers

Shaun

yeah i know about that and turning it down does improve things but not sure that's really the ideal solution - i once asked a guy on here who i think worked for b&w if they had any plans to include a treble setting under the same menu but seems not - he said the bass setting should be enough for most ppl to tweek the sound - i don't like equalizer settings especially on the ipod but do think that even with applelossless that the treble could sometime do with a little uplift to add a little excitment back to the music. The fatman has both treble and bass settings - the B&W id def the better looking better made though

but that my personal opinion and tastes - you may find you prefer the B&W when you hear them - was just suggesting as an alternative

A

Anonymous

I wasn't promoting the Zeppelin against the Fatman directly - just wanted to make the point about the bass on the Zeppelin.

I don't usually post on these kind of ether/or discussions - especially when it involves Bowers & wilkins - just trying to be helpful.

Shaun

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Shaun - i didn't even notice your sign off - maybe it was you that mentioned it to me in the past - as said above they are very different products so depends on what you want, how much space you have, but def worth demoing them both ect

i have the zep in my exercise room and the fatman in my kitchen - unit in a cupboard and speakers on the wall

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts