B&W PM1 - crushed tweeter - Buy or not?

Phuoctue

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
HI folks,

I have been a reader of WhatHifi for a long time and recently, I decided to jump into the hifi world and started to hunt for my first hifi system.

I searched local stores and found a pair of "shop-demo" B&W PM1 with crushed tweeters. One seem to be fine with faint marks of dented and pulled out by adhesive tape. The other looks serious with heavy dent marks and turn into brown color (looks like it is getting rusty), not sure if it is torn or not. Please see the attached pictures.

I have auditioned them and the sound did come out from both tweeter clearly. CYmbals are still cymbals and no signs of weird sound coming out of that crushed tweeter.

At the tempting stock-clearing price tag $1,200 US with limited 12 month warranty (definitely drivers dents are out of warranty scope), it seem to be a good deal for the moment. My concern is about that crushed tweeter, not sure if it will get worse later and I have to spend another few hundreds to have it replaced - or even worse no replacement part available. I am based in Asia where humidity is constantly high throughout the year, especially during the 6-month of rainy season.

Then this good deal turns out to be a pain in the neck, not to mention all the hassles it might cause while enjoying the music...

Since I am a new kid on this play field, hope to get a more technical advices from experienced audiophile on the forum. Should I buy it without worrying about that tweeter in the long run?

Thanks a lot.

27850373432_d1d5f70a44_b.jpg

27850373512_ba0778cb9e_b.jpg

Phuoctue said:
HI folks,

I have been a reader of WhatHifi for a long time and recently, I decided to jump into the hifi world and started to hunt for my first hifi system.

I searched local stores and found a pair of "shop-demo" B&W PM1 with crushed tweeters. One seem to be fine with faint marks of dented and pulled out by adhesive tape. The other looks serious with heavy dent marks and turn into brown color (looks like it is getting rusty), not sure if it is torn or not. Please see the attached pictures.

I have auditioned them and the sound did come out from both tweeter clearly. CYmbals are still cymbals and no signs of weird sound coming out of that crushed tweeter.

At the tempting stock-clearing price tag $1,200 US with limited 12 month warranty (definitely drivers dents are out of warranty scope), it seem to be a good deal for the moment. My concern is about that crushed tweeter, not sure if it will get worse later and I have to spend another few hundreds to have it replaced - or even worse no replacement part available. I am based in Asia where humidity is constantly high throughout the year, especially during the 6-month of rainy season.

Then this good deal turns out to be a pain in the neck, not to mention all the hassles it might cause while enjoying the music...

Since I am a new kid on this play field, hope to get a more technical advices from experienced audiophile on the forum. Should I buy it without worrying about that tweeter in the long run?

Thanks a lot.
I wouldn't touch them, unless my local B&W distributor can price up replacing them. If that makes financial sense then they "might" be worth considering.

But to me, this is a bit like a learner driver buying a first car that needs the engine replacing. Besides, in the case of your speakers, they need very careful matching, so the rest of the system is critical. I suggest finding a dealer with a complete system you like, with everything fully warranted and new. It needn't cost as much, either. A simpler system that you can get the best from is a better way to start, in my experience.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

nopiano said:
Phuoctue said:
HI folks,

Thanks a lot.
I wouldn't touch them, unless my local B&W distributor can price up replacing them. If that makes financial sense then they "might" be worth considering.

But to me, this is a bit like a learner driver buying a first car that needs the engine replacing. Besides, in the case of your speakers, they need very careful matching, so the rest of the system is critical. I suggest finding a dealer with a complete system you like, with everything fully warranted and new. It needn't cost as much, either. A simpler system that you can get the best from is a better way to start, in my experience.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

I'd quite agree. Unless you are competent at repair and can get them to throw in a replacement tweeter then leave well alone.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I think Nopiano and Al's advice is the safest but it does depend on your view of risk vs reward, something only you can take a view of. Have a think about the following:

1. Imagine there's no damage. When you listen to the speakers, do they sound so good you'd buy them anyway?

2. If you had to get the tweeter replaced in (say 1 years time) are parts and the necessary expertise available to you?

3. How much would it cost to change the tweeter and added to the price you'd pay for the speakers now (if they're asking $1200, think about how low you could reasonably get them), would it still represent good value?

4. If you did buy them, would you feel bad knowing they are not perfect or would you feel good because they were a bargain?

If your answers are 1. Yes, 2. Yes, 3. Yes, 4. Good, it may be worth seeing how cheap you can get them. Otherwise, walk away.

A good analysis from Tom, but I was trying to recognise "first hifi" and the fact you even had to ask! They won't perform as they should, even if they still 'sound'.

If you'd got the skills and know-how you'd have bought them.

nopiano said:
A good analysis from Tom, but I was trying to recognise "first hifi" and the fact you even had to ask! They won't perform as they should, even if they still 'sound'.

If you'd got the skills and know-how you'd have bought them.

That along with the fact these speakers have been discontinued I would question the availability of replacement tweeters, they need them.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't buy them either. $1200 for an ex demo in perfect shape might be ok but for a damaged item not. Don't buy. The moment you buy you lost $1100 imo

Superaintit said:
I wouldn't buy them either. $1200 for an ex demo in perfect shape might be ok but for a damaged item not. Don't buy. The moment you buy you lost $1100 imo

Quite so. I would have imagined that if replacement tweeters were readily available they would have done them themselves and charged more for the speakers.

matthewpiano

Steer clear, and follow the excellent advice given above by nopiano and Al Ears by visiting a dealer and asking them to put a system together for your to listen to. Then work with them to make changes until you are happy, and then buy something you know you will enjoy listening to music on for a good time to come.

Phuoctue

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks you so much for the advices. I have decided not to even being bothered with that damaged PM1. There are still a lot of things to consider and to learn before I can spend my money on a bookself and amplifier system. It was definitely the deal and marketing hypes, reviews... have boiled my blood. It runs cold now. :)

I have decided to spend a few more months to visit and listen more on audiophiles around the town, demo shops... to see what my ears love.

Thanks a gain for all of the insightful answers, analisys form the forum. I am really appreciate that.

Tue

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts