B&W P5 who has a pair and what are they really like?

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday i listen to a pair of P5 in a shop but only for 5 mins not long enough to really know how good they are,i made the rash choice of saying to the guy i would buy a pair( they look so good!) only to be told they had none in stock and would not sell the demo pair.So know i have had the chance to think more about them i wanted to ask how good are they sound wise?They look and feel fantastic,what do you guys think before i order a pair on line.

Thanks

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I found them quite dull, compared them side by side with some Bose quiet comfort 15 and the Bose phones were more detailed and to me were much more involving. In terms of sound quality I don't think the audio Technica es5 are far behind the p5 in terms of sound quality but they are not anywhere near as nice to look at!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I have a pair. I bought them after a similarly short audition to yourself, during which they were impressive. Initial listening was positive but I realised that i suffered fatigue with listening sessions over maybe 45 minutes. My speakers are very neutral and the P5s are not. I feel there is some overemphasis of both bass and, in particular, treble notes. Having said that, these are still good headphones. They have good detail, separation, dynamics, transients. Obviously finish and build are first class and an iPhone drives them comfortably. If SQ is your main priority I'm sure there's better out there for the money. I wouldn't disagree with WHF's 4 star review. I'm afraid I can't really point you in the direction of better headphones ad these are the first 'proper' pair I've owned. I plan to buy some professional phones next, although I have more immediate priorities at the moment.

Bartez

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I have one for my iPod (listening to apple lossless). I found them great. I didn't want to have headphones with noise cancellation because in my opinion you can't be sure in 100% that they cancel only noise. B&W P5 have enough noise isolation (not cancellation) for me. I'm using them at work when I don't want to hear fellows sitting next to me and the sound is very good, lots of details, great dynamic. They also looks very nice. The only problem hear is the price...

BTW, I have bought recently sennheiser HD650 for listing at home so I will do some compare and maybe share with you.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
In reply to the OP, we have a mega-test of headphones (including the P5s) in the current issue of the mag, with lots of alternative options. Might be worth picking up a copy (or you could download the digital edition).

http://www.whathifi.com/digital-magazine

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Well after much reading and thinking i went out saturday and bought a pair of p5.I have only had 20 mins with them so far but im off for a week on the beach so lots of listening time ahead!I will come back and share my feelings.If they sound half as good as they look im sure they will be great.

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Well i have had the p5 for 2 weeks now and i can say im very pleased.

I used them on the plane for a few hours listening to music and watching a film,nice clean clear sound but still aware when some one tried to get your attention.I used them on the beach which sometimes was a little warm around the ears but no more than any other over ear type.It took some time to find the right position that felt comfortable,i found that the head strap had to be towards the front of my head.Sound quality i would say was very good playing a mix of tunes from my i phones ipod and also lots of tunes from spotify offline mode.So im very pleased with them,quaility is fantastic! they look wonderfull i cant compare them to other headphones but i think they are great.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts