admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone, apologies if this has been asked time and time again, but what amplifier would be most suited to the B&W MT30 package? I orginally thought that Yamaha 863SE was at the top of my list but sevenoaks have told me that they're out of stock until about March and that they'll be going up in price.

Budget is around £600 ideally.

Thanks,

Dave

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew, thanks for the quick reply. I did actually suggest this amp to the guy at sevenoaks and his reply was..

"Having worked for Sony for a number of years I cannot be that enthusiastic about the Sony AV models.They "Tick" the boxes for consumerism, so they will often do what other manufacturers can, but they tend not to get great reviews for sound quality. .and if you get to listen to one they tend to be a bit thin sounding.especially with music. It's un fair to criticize it without being able to demonstrate it.so try and hear one before totally dismissing it"...

This goes against the findings of the whathifi team...

A

Anonymous

True, I doubt it was in his interest to say that the sony would be a good alternative :)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
"You may say that - I couldn't possibly comment..."

_42553463_richardson1_203bbc.jpg

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
hughesyboy:Hi Andrew, thanks for the quick reply. I did actually suggest this amp to the guy at sevenoaks and his reply was..

"Having worked for Sony for a number of years I cannot be that enthusiastic about the Sony AV models.They "Tick" the boxes for consumerism, so they will often do what other manufacturers can, but they tend not to get great reviews for sound quality. .and if you get to listen to one they tend to be a bit thin sounding.especially with music. It's un fair to criticize it without being able to demonstrate it.so try and hear one before totally dismissing it"...

This goes against the findings of the whathifi team...

That is quite funny. "Thin sounding"! Seriously, I have not listened to the 863 but they are supposed to be brilliant. However, the ES range from Sony is top drawer for the money. I have the 3400es and it's excellent. Very powerful sound with movies and although I have a stereo amp, I have listened to music on tv with the receiver in 2 channel mode, and I was surprised how good it was. Sevenoaks would say that the new Denon range is the one to go for but I disagree as my receiver was all round better than the Denon 2809 when I checked it out.

A

Anonymous

You're right, they did actually push me in the direction of the Denon 2309....

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
and my Denon dealer chap said that Sevenoaks were best avoided, and the WHF team are in Sony's pockets (maybe because he wanted me to buy a Pioneer screen from him rather than a Sony one elsewhere). Conspiracy theory, anyone??!
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts