B&W mt30 or kef 3005 speakers?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
MT-30 is the current award winner at the price point (and the last 4 years too).

It is dearer than the KEF, but I don't think you'll be disappointed. In a group test in a recent issue of WHFSAV, the KEFs were kicked into second place by the MT-30s younger brother, the MT-25.

I've had mine for just over 2 years and it sounds awesome.

Try to find a local dealer who can demo one or the other, or ideally, both packages.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Is this to go with the Z7 / Z 11 you are looking at? If it is then the Kefs will be a better sonic match IMO. That said if you are going for the Z7 you would be wise to look at a better speaker package as you will gain a lot more.

jokerpaulonline

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
reading up on them I am swayed towards the mt30's as they seem to be a better package, but I am asking as now the 3005's can now be bought for £699 while the mt30's are still £1500 are they that much better when comparing price to quality?

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Though I always seem to be doing this, I can't help but ask you to consider the Tannoy Arena. The other two packages you mention were well beaten all round by these when I auditioned. And clarity and details is one of the strong-points.

I'd also consider the KEF 5005s which were very good for detail, but not as musical as the B&Ws or Arena.

The MT-30 just never seems to go down in price. I think it's due to a mix of all the recommendations it gets and it's inoffensive styling and nice looking sub. The Arena was in the same price bracket some five years ago but can now be had for less. The 3005SE started at about £100 and is now much less it seems.

The problem I found with the MT-30 was in terms of detail and high requeny response, (dead sounding at the top end), whereas the 3005SE just wasn't very good for music, especially the bass, (mainly due to the subwoofer), and didn't have the greatest detail.

If you don't like the Arena, then I think your best bet would be to partner the 5005, (or 3005SE but they are less detailed), sats with a good subwoofer, which might well be possible for cheaper than the MT-30. Or alternatively, if you aren't too worried about music you could go for the 5005 or 3005SE package.

Hope this helps in your decision making.

A

Anonymous

I'm pretty sure that some professional types on here would say M&K speakers.......

A

Anonymous

Audio T stock them if you have one near you? Or you could put a Saturday to one side and get yourself along to a dealers that holds a wide range of manufacturers and have a full fun day auditioning!!

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
It's a bit hard to recommend speakers I suppose unless you say if you need them to be small 'style' speakers, and if you intend to use them for music as well as films. It sounds like your budget

I've never heard the M&Ks, but some say while they are good with films, they aren't so good with music.

It might also be worth looking at options of downgrading the amplifier spend, and upping the speaker spend. You might get a better overall sound, and speakers tend to last longer than amps, in terms of needing an upgrade due to technology changes.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
jokerpaulonline:what speakage would you reccomend to go with the yamaha z7?

It depends on what you are looking for. If it is a smaller / on wall speaker then we have a good pairing with the Dali Motif's and a bigger sub. Likewise Kef 6000's with the XQ60 Sub or an MK system. If you can move to floorstanding speakers then the PMC range works a treat especially if you want to use the system for music.

jokerpaulonline

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
I dont know to much about the speaker set up apart from you got 2 front speakers, a centre front speaker that should be kept in line with the fronts and 2 rears, but where in the room are you supposed to put the sub? and if you go for a 7.1 system then where do you put the other 2 speakers?

Also what is the difference between 7.1/5.1 and systems like the yamaha z11 that has a 11.2 or 5.2 what is the .1 or .2 ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts